Pizza Port Shark Bite Red Ale

H-B

Trial Member
Reaction score
Rookie question:
I just ordered the Shark Bite Red Ale kit from MooreBeer. Boil time is listed as 90 minutes. A lot of the brewing logs here on Brewer's Friend show only 60 minutes. Recipe states adding 1 oz of magnum at 90 min. So that 1 oz will get 30 minutes longer vs adding at 60. Anyone know what would be the advantage of going 90 vs 60 min in general or as far as the hops go?

Thanks,

I don't know the kit.
My assumption is that it has pilsner malt.
It is/was advised to boil pilsner malt for 90 minutesto get rid of DMS.
I recently boiled some for 45-60 minutes and I didn't get any off-tastes
But I brew primitive without too much experience and I just had 3 homebrews, so wait for the more experienced brewers to come with their advice :D

I looked at the kit and it uses 2-row or light DME, so I'm guessing the longer boil is more for the color than anything else. You'll get a little more IBUs with that extra 30 minutes, but I doubt it would be noticeable.

I use a 30 minute boil for DME and have been getting good results. Actually, my best ales have been with this method and adding hops at 10 min., or at shutoff (or @160 F, stand for 20 min.), and 3 days before bottling.

Boiling hops beyond 60 minutes will gain nothing, in fact it has been shown that exceeded 60 minutes, the bitterness will decrease. The difference between 30 and 60 minutes is not a big deal either. The best thing would be to use the IBU calculator on this website and look at some real numbers and decide for yourself.

Thanks for all the good advise! All my brews so far has been 60 min boil so it looks like that should be fine based on your answers.

Please send feedback on how it turns out ;)

Rookie question:
I just ordered the Shark Bite Red Ale kit from MooreBeer. Boil time is listed as 90 minutes. A lot of the brewing logs here on Brewer's Friend show only 60 minutes. Recipe states adding 1 oz of magnum at 90 min. So that 1 oz will get 30 minutes longer vs adding at 60. Anyone know what would be the advantage of going 90 vs 60 min in general or as far as the hops go?

Thanks,
I do a 90 minute boil almost by default. Develops color a bit more, perhaps a bit of flavor but my concern is that I'm brewing at 6,000 feet elevation. I want to make sure I boil off all the DMS since the boiling point up here is about 202° F. Otherwise I don't see an advantage to a 90 minute boil. I do need to use a bit more hops than most due to the low boiling point.

I know I'm late to discussion, but yeah the 90 mins is for color and the extra time for the hops will actually help with head retention/formation as well.

Back