Pitching on top of yeast cake

Nola_Brew

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I brewed an Amber Ale (1.057 3 gallon batch) on 12/16 (Wyeast 1056 slurry 3rd gen no dry hop). My plan is to bottle Thursday night or Friday am. I also have a brew planned for Friday (Pale Ale 1.058). I would like to just re-use the existing yeast cake.
I've read several posts on the subject with various processes so I'm not quite sure what to do.
I'll outline my plans:
-After bottling re-install cap and airlock and place in fermentation chamber until ready for use
I'll try and get most of the existing beer out of the carboy and leave mostly the yeast cake.
-Once the brew day is complete on Friday I plan on just racking on top of the yeast cake and shake to aerate (my normal process is to use pure oxygen for 60 sec).

Few questions:
Is the process above sound or do I need to add or make changes?
Is there a need to rack the yeast cake to a sanitized bucket and clean carboy?
Should I remove a portion of the existing yeast cake (to harvest a pint) then rack new wort on top or just leave entire yeast cake?
Is there a need to aerate with pure oxygen or simply shaking a bit will be sufficient?

Normally when I harvest a yeast cake, I get about 3-4 pint jars of slurry- normally use one for each new brew. From the last batch I harvested, each pint jar is about half full with slurry once settled.

Using the entire yeast cake for a 1.058 beer is a massive overpitch. I'd remove 2/3 of the trub and save it in pint jars, or throw it away.

Both overpitching and underpitching can create off flavors in the beer.

if you use the same vessel, and use buckets, just clean the sides and top edges the best you can without disturbing the trub and yeast after you pull some out then pour right on top, if its at room temp it should start right away

the one and only time i re used the entire cake i had some meaty off flavours , not pleasant
it is generally considered better to go from a lighter, smaller ( low OG ) beer with less hops to a bigger , hoppier, darker beer
i went from an Australian sparkling ale to a dark ale and ended up tipping the dark ale on bottling day

I use a carboy so I guess I'll go ahead and harvest the yeast and use one pint jar as I've been doing.

Back