Pilsner not fermenting

griz

Trial Member
Reaction score
Greetings. I made a batch of Ngoma Togo Pils on Sunday (all grain). At the time of this post, there is little to no activity coming from the fermentation. I have the jug in a separate basement room where I can keep the tempt between 55-45, which the recipe calls for. I had the wort down to 60 degrees before adding yeast.

I've read some posts that indicate due to the lower air tempts, fermentation will be slow and gradual. This is my first pilsner/lager brew, so not sure what to expect. Gravity ready prior to fermentation looked good.

Any info/input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

What is the time between pithcing and this post?
What yeast and how many did you add? I would say just give it some time.

....and check your seals! I had one brew that hadn't started bubbling by the 3rd day...then I discovered the bucket wasn't sealed properly. Pushed the lid in place and *blub* *blub* *blub*. :lol:

If you have krauesen, you have fermentation. If the "jug" is transparent, you can see it, a layer of foamy looking yeast on top of the beer; otherwise, you might pry a corner of the lid up to see if anything's working in there. As to airlocks bubbling, if you have krauesen and no bubbles, you're leaking gas somewhere. Sunday to Tuesday is about 48 hours - I've had lagers wait that long to start. Check for krauesen, check your equipment for leaks and then the yeast starts to come into question.

Hmm,
First lager?
I'd have to say that it's more than likely that you under-pitched and there is a long lag phase going on.
How much yeast did you pitch into how much volume and what was the OG?
Brian

Thanks for all the replies and info. Ironically, right after I did my post, the beer began to ferment away...maybe it was a sensitive yeast or something else, but it's bubbling like it should. Hopefully it will taste good after the different fermentation processes. Thanks again.

My Helles in the fall had a lag time of 70 hours. It turned out fine though and I had trouble RAHAHB.

Brewed another Helles and it took 68 hrs. to see any bubbling. Don't know why my lagers take so long to get going, but the beer is fine. I make a big starter in 2-3 steps. WLP940, WLP833 and WLP830. All the same lag time. Pitched @ 46 F. If that the way it is, fine I guess.

Back