Pilsner Malts

Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I've used Viking Pils for my base malt up to this point. Currently morebeer is out of stock, I can get Briess or Avangard from my local(ish) shop for a comparable price.

What are your thoughts on those options? I'll use the last of my Viking Pils this weekend...

Cant say I've tried either exclusively on the other side of the globe ha ha but I see brulosophy use avangard...

Avangard Malt is from Germany and Briess is from the US. Unless Briess sourced barley or malt from Europe, the Briess malt will have a lighter flavor since the barley is from North America. European malts are generally more plump and slightly larger. Depends on the beer, if you want a little more malt character, then use Avangard.

I've used Viking Pils for my base malt up to this point. Currently morebeer is out of stock, I can get Briess or Avangard from my local(ish) shop for a comparable price.

What are your thoughts on those options? I'll use the last of my Viking Pils this weekend...
Go with the Avangard. It's my go-to Pilsner malt.

From a perception perspective I don't believe you'll see a difference. I have gold medals from NHC for Belgian beers using American Pilsner and as a BJCP Judge myself I can't detect differences when in a finished beer. In malt teas I can but once you add yeast, hops and other fermentables the ability to perceive a difference is dramatically reduced.

From a perception perspective I don't believe you'll see a difference. I have gold medals from NHC for Belgian beers using American Pilsner and as a BJCP Judge myself I can't detect differences when in a finished beer. In malt teas I can but once you add yeast, hops and other fermentables the ability to perceive a difference is dramatically reduced.
True, that...

Have you considered Viking Extra Pale 2-row? It's the same SRM as their pilsner. It is higher in diastatic power due to the germination process, but likely very close to their pilsner.

It makes a very noticeable difference in light lagers. American malts are lighter in flavor than German malt. I could see that being diminished in Belgian styles with the added flavors from the yeast esters.

Just a little note on this thread. I've used Viking Pilsner malt more than anything else for my base malt, also used up a 55 pound sack of Avangard, currently I'm working my way through a sack of Briess Synergy Select(which is supposed to be very similar to European Pilsner malt). Honestly, if you brewed 3 otherwise identical beers, you MIGHT be able to pick out the Synergy, but only at a pretty high usage level. I really couldn't tell any difference at all in the flavor of Viking and Avangard.

At this point it's come down to where I'm buying my base malt. If I'm busy I have Viking delivered from Morebeer. Otherwise depending on where I need to be I buy Avangard from "The Wine and Hop Shop" or Synergy from "Point Brew Supply."

I could easily be mistaken, but Avangard may actually be the worlds largest maltster at this juncture. Where Avangard falls short in my opinion is that it lacks sufficient malt variety choices, at least as to what it releases for retail level sale.

Edit: As of 2012 Avangard ranked 7th in the world, and per their website they are the largest maltster in Germany: http://www.firstkey.com/PDF/2012_08_Commercial.pdf

As of 2019 these guys are the worlds largest maltster: https://www.inside.beer/news/detail/boortmalt-becomes-the-worlds-largest-malting-group/

Last edited:
Will be brewing some lighter beers this summer, picking up a sack of Rahr Premium Pilsner Malt today, I’ll update this when I get a couple brews done with it.
I love that malt. Great for light lagers and cream ales. A good malt to have on hand.

I use German Pilsner exclusively since a bag of Breiss Pilsner produced a lackluster flavor profile. I am particularly sensitive to flavors coming from grain. I believe for this style of beer getting the highest quality German or a Bohemian possible is essential. Weyermann or Cargill Salzgitter produce the malty backbone I want in a light German or a bohemian grain bill. Rage, and even more so Breiss, add sweetness without adding a significant Pilsner malt backing in my tasting.

On my 2nd bag of Rahr now, very nice results, sweet, a touch bready in flavor. Been really nice in light ales. Seems that Viking and Avangard had a bit more body, probably a bit better for lagers. Not really a big enough advantage either way(to my taste) to keep more than one on hand.

Thinking about trying a bag of Sekado(Czech) Pils next.

I've used both Rahr and Briess. Both are very good. But I usually buy Briess because they are a local maltster. About 90 minutes north of me in Chilton, Wisconsin.

Thanks for the input guys, think I'll pick up a sack of the Avangard, like that it's a semi local shop that sells it and it's only $1 more than a bag of Breiss.
For 5 more pounds.
Just a note, check the date code on the bag.
I stock avangard and haven't been able to get their oils in about 2 months
Just saying

On my 2nd bag of Rahr now, very nice results, sweet, a touch bready in flavor. Been really nice in light ales. Seems that Viking and Avangard had a bit more body, probably a bit better for lagers. Not really a big enough advantage either way(to my taste) to keep more than one on hand.

Thinking about trying a bag of Sekado(Czech) Pils next.
A local guy was bringing in containers of Sekado for a while and I used that exclusively for a couple of years. Hands down best malt I've used. The Floor Malted Pils was great and their 2-Row was fantastic - very rich, malty and crackery rather than candy-sweet.

Back