Pilsner, corn, honey?

Jkgrizzly

Premium Member
Reaction score
About to try brewing a light lager? Looking at 10lb of pilsner, 1lb cornmeal(cereal mash), 1lb honey at flame out. .5 Citra at 15min and .5 at flame out. I'm sure someone has done something similar, so any issues. By the way, I have read and learned so much reading on here.
Thanks in advance

Yeah, that will make beer, but I have to ask why the corn and honey? 10lbs of pilsner malt is plenty for a 5 gallon batch. I would also think that you need to increase your hops. .5 citra at 15 and another .5 at flameout is not going to give you much bitterness to balance that 1.060 or so OG that recipe will give you.

I have did a couple pilsner/citra smashes. Just wanted to try something a little different. Looking for something a little stronger. I have a stock of citra, so how early would you add them to the boil? I have read so much about the cat pee taste , it has me a little scared to add it very early.

Save your money and leave the honey out. You'll get virtually the same beer with just Pilsner and Corn. I've done Pilsner/corn 80/20 at varying gravities and it's always a winner. I'd bitter with something smooth and noble and load up the Citra late. For a beer like this, I wouldn't add it any sooner than 15 minutes from flameout. Whirlpool will really load up the aroma and flavor for you.
I did a really nice Blonde with Pilsner/corn/Saaz/Cluster/Mosaic with San Fran lager yeast. Like a light, juicy version of Anchor Steam
The yeast you choose will determine what sort of beer you end up with. If you're going Chico or something similar, you'll have a nice light blonde and a lager yeast will give you a hoppy cream ale. That San Francisco Lager yeast was a nice in-between with plenty of estery, peppery crispness on its own.

I agree with JA: In this recipe, honey is just very expensive sugar. Cornmeal can give you some problems in the lauter - make sure it's very coarse, if not something more like corn grits or polenta. I'm a traditionalist in my lagers so I won't comment on Citra - your recipe should make beer! But remember this with light beers: It's process more than recipe that will make it succeed or fail.

Reactions: J A

Back