Ph Meter

GFHomebrew

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Gday all
Well I bought me a ph meter off eBay yesterday now I didn't consult the brains trust on here:) but I though I might post it up here and see if I've stuffed up on my choice of ph meter?
Digital PH Tester Meter Auto Calibration Thermometer Kit Waterproof Pocket Pen
Resolution (PH / Temperature): 0.1 PH / 0.1 (°C / °F)
Accuracy (PH / Temperature): ±0.1 pH / ±1 (°C / °F)
Automatic TemperatureCompensation (ATC): 0 - 50 °C (32 - 122 °F)
Temperature Measuring Range: 0 - 55 °C / 0 - 131 °F
Operating Temperature: 0 - 50 °C (32 - 122 °F)
Replaceable Electrode with Cap
3 Buffer Solutions (PH4.01, PH6.86 & PH9.18) Provided
Data Hold, Freeze Readings
Water and Dust Proof meets IP65 Rating
PH & Temperature Display with Switchable °C & °F
One Button Auto Calibration, 3-point Calibration
Microcomputer Circuit, ATC Function, High Accuracy
Batteries: 4 x 1.5 V (AG-13) Button cell Batteries (included)
It is available for wideapplications, such as waterconditions, beverage, aquarium, fish hatcheries, food processing, photography, laboratory, quality control, school & colleges,swimming pools etc
image.jpeg

Good enough for homebrew.

Good enough for homebrew.
Good to hear now I'm hoping to get a better idea of mash ph and if I'm hitting the sweet spot of 5.2 - 5.6 ph range.
You wouldn't know off the top of your head what the fermented beer ph range should be there nosey?

the issues with these ph meters is when we use them in hot wort, it doesn't happen immediately but over time the plastic erodes and basically ruins the meter, thats why I buy the cheapest one I can find $10 and just replace it every year, Im sure yours will be fine

A bit lower than that, depending on the beer. I never measure the pH at the end so don't have a good reference.

the issues with these ph meters is when we use them in hot wort, it doesn't happen immediately but over time the plastic erodes and basically ruins the meter, thats why I buy the cheapest one I can find $10 and just replace it every year, Im sure yours will be fine
Ditto that. And remember if you measure a hot sample to add 0.3 degrees to your measurement.

Ditto that. And remember if you measure a hot sample to add 0.3 degrees to your measurement.
Sort of like an hydrometer sample you have to cool it to its calibration temperature? You think it will give an fairly accurate reading at mash temp? I see its operating temp is 50c will probably give wort a quick chill before Imersion. Hay when is a good time to measure mash ph? After 10 mins or when you've doughed in and are ready to start mash timer?

Measure as soon as you can get a sample cooled to room temp. The enzymes get to work right away, so you need to get the pH right as quick as you can to ensure you get the balance you're aiming for.

I've read that using a pH meter at mashing temps will significantly shorten its life. Also that it should be stored immersed in distilled water. I have a cheapo so I'm not worrying at the moment, but someday I'll spring for a nice one and that I'll be sure to take care of...

That unit has ATC so can automatically compensate for the temp it's measuring at
just get your sample below 50 C and it should work fine .( short term )

i'm still using paper test strips and can only get accurate reading at 20 C

That unit has ATC so can automatically compensate for the temp it's measuring at
just get your sample below 50 C and it should work fine .( short term )

i'm still using paper test strips and can only get accurate reading at 20 C
Yea I've got some paper strips but do you think I can tell what colour is what ph it all looks the same to me:p.

ATC (automatic temperature compensation) will adjust the readings electronically to try to keep them accurate, but it won't protect the little bulb from heat damage.

ATC (automatic temperature compensation) will adjust the readings electronically to try to keep them accurate, but it won't protect the little bulb from heat damage.
Cheers thirsty I'll be cooling wort a wee bit before immersing ph meter yet.Another brewing toy!

I have spent some money on pH meters an what I have learned is that they must be maintained. I have three pH meters ranging in price from $50 to $150 and they all give slightly different readings. After three years here is what I have learned:

1) Pay the $10 for the storage solution and always store the tip of the meter in that solution at all times.
2) Never let the probe dry out.
3) Even the expensive meters need a new probe at least once a year. Frequency of use has little impact on life span but temperature does/can reduce lifespan of the meter.
4) Calibrate your meter before every use.
5) Clean your meter as quickly as possible after use.
6) Take a reading every 5 minutes for the first 15 minutes of the mash, if you are having a problem it will be apparent at one of these times.
7) Get your water tested at a lab and trust Bru'n Water - after that the pH reading will put your mind to rest.
8) Don't over estimate the value of pH. pH is important but trying to hit the perfect 5.2-5.6 range made a mess of a number of my brews when I first started using the meter. Use pH as a guide but don't make major changes if you brews have tasted good in the past.

Thanks for your valuable foresight into PH ness of brewing:p. I'll have to grab some of this solution what is this solution? I suppose you need to use their ph buffer calibration satchets?

You can cool the sample of the mash really quickly in ice water. What I do is put the sample in a shot glass, and then put the shot glass in a slightly larger glass of ice water. Stir it, and it will cool quickly. You're looking at for mash pH of 5.3-5.5 or so at room temperature. For lighter beers, like pale ales, I'd go with the lower end of that and for stouts, I'd go at 5.5 or so. The roasted malts are less acrid to me when mashed at 5.5 or thereabouts.

Most meters should be stored in potassium chloride or drinking water. The manufacturer should specify. You don't want distilled or RO water from what my manufacturer's instructions say.

get the 2 pack kit to start, with different levels in each, you check one to the other and its more accurate

I think it's just a neutral (pH 7.0) water solution. Distilled water should work.
It's a potassium chloride solution. Distilled water will work but the solution is better. I order mine off Amazon, it should be available in science supply stores or other mail order sources. The last set of reference solutions I bought had three pH samples and the storage solution in one.

Well I'll wait till it turns up then I'll purchase some since it seems it's paramount for extended life. I just looked on my local HBS website and he must sell the solution per bottle as it was 30bucks! That's how much the meter cost ha ha.

I think this is the one I buy and it comes with 2 packets to set it with, mine is usually right on at first
716cgAgqEjL._SL1500_.jpg

Back