"Pepper"

sbaclimber

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I recently drank a bottle of Gouden Carolus Tripel and was blown away by how much it tasted like pepper. It smelled a bit like it too, but it was a bit masked with some of the other typical belgian aromas (e.g. coriander).
My question, to those who might know, where does the pepper aroma and flavor come from?
I supposed they could've thrown in some real pepper, but I would like to think that it comes from the yeast (or hops!?).

T-58 has a slight peppery finish but doesn't stand out so much.Maybe at right fermentation temps?

Reactions: J A
Should be from the yeast - there's some fantastic yeast flavours once you explore liquid yeasts

I recently drank a bottle of Gouden Carolus Tripel and was blown away by how much it tasted like pepper. It smelled a bit like it too, but it was a bit masked with some of the other typical belgian aromas (e.g. coriander).
My question, to those who might know, where does the pepper aroma and flavor come from?
I supposed they could've thrown in some real pepper, but I would like to think that it comes from the yeast (or hops!?).
stick your nose in fresh ground grains grains of paradise you will smell black pepper

stick your nose in fresh ground grains grains of paradise you will smell black pepper
ah, interesting to know! I only know "grains of paradise" from the Sam Adams radio commercial that ran a lot last (?) year. I don't think I have had a beer with them as an additive yet...

Back