Peanut Butter Milk Stout

ptrain

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I tried Belching Beaver Milk Stout when in the USA recently. It was awesome! I've been researching of late how to replicate it.

I've been reading quite a bit about how to do it and have some fundamental questions.
1. Powdered PB or Peanut Butter Flavoring (all I can find is an oil from a cake shop)

2. When to add it?
I've seen a huge array of reports, from at 60mins in the boil, 10mins seems to be most common, followed closely by adding at keg/bottling. There seems to be a large following who add it in the fermenter like dry hopping.

Appreciate any help folks. Keen to hear some logic behind adding it at different times too.

Peanut butter is very oily, and heavy oil is bad for beer. The powdered form contains less oil and makes it attractive for brewing. It can be added at boil or during fermentation. Fermentation supposedly retains more of the flavor but boiling may help drive off some of the oils.

Peanut oil condenses pretty easily so if you have a cold fermentation or cold crash, it can be scooped off the top.

I made a cookie beer where I added powder (PB2 in the US) at secondary. It takes a lot to contribute noticeable peanut butter flavor and it leaves a heavy sludge at the bottom.

If you can only get real peanut butter, you might be able to add early in the boil to separate the oils. Then when transferring to the fermenter, drain from the bottom and leave the top sheen behind in the kettle.

Hi all,

I tried Belching Beaver Milk Stout when in the USA recently. It was awesome! I've been researching of late how to replicate it.

I've been reading quite a bit about how to do it and have some fundamental questions.
1. Powdered PB or Peanut Butter Flavoring (all I can find is an oil from a cake shop)

2. When to add it?
I've seen a huge array of reports, from at 60mins in the boil, 10mins seems to be most common, followed closely by adding at keg/bottling. There seems to be a large following who add it in the fermenter like dry hopping.

Appreciate any help folks. Keen to hear some logic behind adding it at different times too.
If it's a flavor, you can add it at packaging to taste. Powdered PB, as I understand it, needs to be boiled. I wouldn't add oil - there are peanut butter flavors out there that don't use it.

Back