PB2

DanC

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I am planning my house porter in a couple weeks and I thought I would add some peanut butter powder. I researched probably 35 recipes on this site but the authors do not leave tasting notes.

I would like anyone's knowledge as to how much and when to add the PB2, either the boil or secondary, Thanks.

1st batch I did I added 14oz to a 5 gal batch. It had good aroma, I thought it needed more PB flavor. Next batch I added 30oz to a 5 gal batch. Both were added in Secondary. Great aroma & PB flavor was great. Unfortunately I added cacao nibs & it imparted a harsh shell secondary flavor, so it is sitting in bottles aging in hopes that that flavor will dissipate.

Hamner did you hydrate the powder first or just dump the powder and rack the beer over it?

1st batch I dumped powder in & racked over it. That seemed to work fine. 2nd batch I mixed with boiled water, then cooled it down to the wort temp. Poured that into Secondary & racked on top of that. The change in method was due to concern of the amount of powder. I thought it might just cake on the bottom, so I made it a liquid.

I haven't tried it myself but in beers I've tasted using the powder, it's a very subtle flavor. If I were adding it, I'd add it to water and boil first - never know what nasties might be living in the powder.

Back