Parti gyle question, of sorts...

Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Long story short, found wild hops, want to brew with them while fresh. Should absolutely be picked this weekend...unfortunately ALSO have Northern Brewer, that I want to use fresh, that NEEDS to be picked this weekend. Two mashes are NOT going to be feasible, don't want to use them in the same brew(want to single hop with the wild hops).

If I run a batch of Shore Leave first with the Northern Brewer, then ran a second sparge(probably going to be a SMALL batch), I could maybe bump the OG with some DME, I have a pound of Bries Golden Light on hand...

Does this sound feasible?

Long story short, found wild hops, want to brew with them while fresh. Should absolutely be picked this weekend...unfortunately ALSO have Northern Brewer, that I want to use fresh, that NEEDS to be picked this weekend. Two mashes are NOT going to be feasible, don't want to use them in the same brew(want to single hop with the wild hops).

If I run a batch of Shore Leave first with the Northern Brewer, then ran a second sparge(probably going to be a SMALL batch), I could maybe bump the OG with some DME, I have a pound of Bries Golden Light on hand...

Totally feasible!

Just watch your hops on the 2nd running. It will be a lot lighter wort and won't need as much.

Have you considered making a stronger 1st wort that doesn't even need a sparge to achieve your goal - and then using the grains for a full sparge that might make a bit more beer that you could adjust with the DME as needed?

Just a thought...

These "wild hops" are the ones your family used to use a long time ago right? You were going to make an old "family" recipe... ?

Have you considered making a stronger 1st wort that doesn't even need a sparge to achieve your goal - and then using the grains for a full sparge that might make a bit more beer that you could adjust with the DME as needed?

Just a thought...

These "wild hops" are the ones your family used to use a long time ago right? You were going to make an old "family" recipe... ?

Same general area, these would be about a mile away, but they are near a water source that runs that direction. There were a couple places that I know of that they got them from. Haven’t had time to look yet. Literally walked right past these yesterday.

Same general area, these would be about a mile away, but they are near a water source that runs that direction. There were a couple places that I know of that they got them from. Haven’t had time to look yet. Literally walked right past these yesterday.
Nice!

I think making a super strong wort at about 6-7 gallons would work because then you could split it, top up each to boil volume and add DME to each to hit your target OGs... It would probably take some serious math though :)

Good luck! YOU GOT THIS!

If I want to really get an idea of what I have, maybe I should just SMaSH them with some Golden Light DME. Could pick some up on my way home.

Back