Paradiso (DDH NEIPA)

Discussion in 'Recipes for Feedback' started by Purrrgatory Brewing, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Purrrgatory Brewing

Purrrgatory Brewing New Member

Trying to put together a recipe for a NEIPA that breaks from the current hop trends of Citra, El Dorado, Galaxy, Nelson, Sabro etc that my local bottle shops shelves are inundated with.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/926328/paradiso-ddh-neipa-

The aim is for a light, mostly opaque look, tropical flavours, more on the citrus and melon side, with a thick mouthfeel.

Unsure about the lactose addition tbh, wondering if it might make it too sweet.

2. Mark Farrall

Mark Farrall Well-Known Member

I got a permissions error on the recipe.

3. Purrrgatory Brewing

Purrrgatory Brewing New Member

Updated the link settings so should work now

4. Mark Farrall

Mark Farrall Well-Known Member

Think there's just two things I'd add. Have a read of this for your second dry hop - http://scottjanish.com/a-case-for-short-and-cool-dry-hopping/.

And I'd leave the lactose until packaging and see if you need it then. I think you'll have plenty of mouth feel without it. More a matter of whether that ice cream taste works with these hops (maybe split the batch then?).

Interested to know how the hop combo works, so let us know what you think.

5. Trialben

Trialben Well-Known Member

Pest control tech
    Interesting hop combinations that's for sure will be interesting how they all play together. Sorry cant add any useful info...

6. Meatwad

Meatwad Member

I would cut your beta-glucan adjuncts in half to 20% total and increase your base malt. Mandarina Bavaria can get very smoky and phenolic with higher use so I'd replace half of that with Cascade or Centennial.

7. Craigerrr

Craigerrr Well-Known Member

You have a lot of boil additions there. A true NEIPA has no boil additions, all whirpool and dry additions. Having said that I have been adding a half ounce of Magnum first wort addition in mine (10g batch). Having said that, I am reviewing that recipe as it is still not where I want it to be, and will be removing that first wort addition. It is a very good beer, and gets great reviews from friends and family, but it isn't GREAT, I want it to be great!