Pale ale

Jimsal

Trial Member
Reaction score
i was reading a few articles and one theme kept coming across. You can tell a Brewers skills by tasting his pale ale. So with that thought I wanna perfect a pale ale. So I'm gonna brew one next week and focus on brewing a pale ale for a while. Here's my thought.

10 lbs 2 row
1lb crystal 20
4oz Vienna
(Thinking about dropping the Vienna)
1 oz Columbus 45 min
.5 cascade 15 min
.5oz cascade 5 min

5.72 Srm
36 ibu
1052 og
1012 fg
Gonna split wort in half and try the wyeast American ale 1 & 2 experiment.
Your thoughts guys.
Thx so much for all your feedback

personally I think that small amount of Vienna will not be noticed, its a base malt so no worries about too much, I would add at least a pound, lose some 2 row if needed to account for it and I would add more cascade like 1 ounce at 5, that small amount will fade fast after a couple of weeks, the recipe is sound though otherwise

not really commenting on your recipe, but how did you arrive at the conclusion that a pale ale is the litmus test for a brewer's skill? I'd be interested to read those articles

i've thought it would be some type of lager, since there's less there for off flavors to hide behind

i was reading a few articles and one theme kept coming across. You can tell a Brewers skills by tasting his pale ale. So with that thought I wanna perfect a pale ale. So I'm gonna brew one next week and focus on brewing a pale ale for a while. Here's my thought.

10 lbs 2 row
1lb crystal 20
4oz Vienna
(Thinking about dropping the Vienna)
1 oz Columbus 45 min
.5 cascade 15 min
.5oz cascade 5 min

5.72 Srm
36 ibu
1052 og
1012 fg
Gonna split wort in half and try the wyeast American ale 1 & 2 experiment.
Your thoughts guys.
Thx so much for all your feedback
I agree about the pale I love them and try to always have one on tap. I have a recipe I like and make it the same except I change the flavor and aroma hops. The grains and bittering hops remains the same. The Cascade always pleases so I think your good there. I use a bit more. My favorite is when I make it with Amarillo hops

not really commenting on your recipe, but how did you arrive at the conclusion that a pale ale is the litmus test for a brewer's skill? I'd be interested to read those articles

i've thought it would be some type of lager, since there's less there for off flavors to hide behind

Alot of small breweries and many home brewers don't do lagers so I think a pale is a good choice. The first beer I do in a tasting is probably a lager if they have one followed by a pale

Jm I'm looking up those articles. I'll post as soon as I can find them in my history

• IMHO an APA is easy to make compared to the delicate and subtle flavours expected of say a traditional Pilsner , Kolsch , helles ect ect

That, or a Blonde.

Back