Pale Ale Recipe Check

BrainYYC

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi, can I bounce this off the team. Will be my 4th or so brew, second time with my new "larger" hehe 2.5Gallon set up.

Going for low ibu but loads of hop flavour aroma, the trendy NEPA type thing.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1034471/cross-country-collabo-pale-ale

Curious to here feedback on my grains and more so on my hop selection, am I playing too safe? My local beer supply shop is chock full o' hops right now:

Ahtanum, Amarillo, Azzaca, Brambling, Bravo, Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Citra, Cluster, Columbus, East Kent Golding, Ekuonot, Falconers FLight, Fuggles, Galaxy, Galena, Green Bullet, Hallertua Mittlefruh, Hersbrucker, Loral, Mandarin Bavaria, Millenium, Mt Hood, Nugget, Pallisade, SAAZ, Simcoe, Srachi Ace, Target, Tettnang, Wakatu, Warrior, Willamette,

Thanks folks!

Last edited:
I responded to your private message again, let's see how other advice compares to mine. O Lynn thing I'm wondering about is that your recipe is listed as an APA, but you mentioned NEPA type thing above. My PM advice will change if you are going for a NEIPA.

I think your recipe will make a great beer.

My personal preference would be to use more Munich and bitter to at least 30-35 IBU's for a Pale, but I think you have a clear goal in mind so no point in getting hung up on guidelines.

Cheers!

I couldn't find NEPA in the style listing

Agree Im going to change my bittering hop and bump up to low 30's.

Grain bill is fine but you don't need rice hulls. Oats is fine for more NEIPA-ish style but unnecessary in a standard Pale Ale. I like the hop combo, but you'll regret not having a higher IBU. Either boost your boil time on the Warrior or do a 20-minute whirlpool that will add lots of flavor and a little bitterness. I'd want 40 IBUs with that much fruit-flavor in the hopping.

Hi, can I bounce this off the team. Will be my 4th or so brew, second time with my new "larger" hehe 2.5Gallon set up.

Going for low ibu but loads of hop flavour aroma, the trendy NEPA type thing.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1034471/cross-country-collabo-pale-ale

Curious to here feedback on my grains and more so on my hop selection, am I playing too safe? My local beer supply shop is chock full o' hops right now:

Ahtanum, Amarillo, Azzaca, Brambling, Bravo, Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Citra, Cluster, Columbus, East Kent Golding, Ekuonot, Falconers FLight, Fuggles, Galaxy, Galena, Green Bullet, Hallertua Mittlefruh, Hersbrucker, Loral, Mandarin Bavaria, Millenium, Mt Hood, Nugget, Pallisade, SAAZ, Simcoe, Srachi Ace, Target, Tettnang, Wakatu, Warrior, Willamette,

Thanks folks!
Looks reasonable. I brew at/about that level for my pale ales. Question: Why are you mixing up three hops? I'm not a true hophead so can't really speak to blending so, help me out here: What are you trying to achieve by blending the hops the way you do?

Hi Nosybear, I have Citra hops on hand, have always wanted to try Galaxy and went for a basic bittering hop.

Kinda just learning hence the ask, open to any and all suggestions!

There is a bit of confusion here, starting with me, YYC is looking to brew a NEIPA. We have had some private messages on this. Brain, when you have edited your recipe as we discussed throw it up here again. We will have another look at it.

The wife does a Citra/Amarillo/Galaxy IPA. Great combo. I'm guessing Craig's given you advice on hopping rates.

If it's a play with a hazy, i'd replace the crystal and munich with with wheat and try a different yeast. If you're not using liquid, you could try Lallemand's Verdant or New England or Fermentis S-04.

There is a bit of confusion here, starting with me, YYC is looking to brew a NEIPA. We have had some private messages on this. Brain, when you have edited your recipe as we discussed throw it up here again. We will have another look at it.
Yeah I see that now. I originally thought the OP was going for an APA. My post above is useless.

The yeast isn't really all that critical with a NEIPA, the advantage however with a Kveik is that it works quick. Two dry additions within the first 36 to 48. It can be ready to cold crash within 4-5 days, and ready to package on day 6, 7, or 8. Early hop additions, without extended hop exposure, negating any grassy herbal off flavors.

Have you brewed this yet? If not I would reduce your galaxy additions. Galaxy is potent.
When I use galaxy it's usually 2-2-1 ratio with galaxy being the 1 of the equation.
Also not sure about Munich in a nepa. Guess it would not hurt to try.

She’s bubbling away in my fermenter, already dropped in both rounds of dry hops - I’ll let you know how it turns out!

My 2c can't go wrong with Galaxy in a hop forward beer.

Just be careful how long it hangs out in the DH phase I've had some Grassiness from it before. Just something to keep in mind.

Ya Brain, don't leave you hops in there too long buddy, c'mon man!

Glad to help, I have to think that I must deserve to see a picture of said masterpiece!

CF5A423C-A45A-4E7F-8677-0B859EEADB0D.jpeg
Deeeeerish.

Back