Ozark's Summer Lager

J A

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Ozarks (I'll call you that because I don't know your name).
When you've used US-05 for your Summer Lager recipe have you encountered a peachy/fruity ester? You seem to cite low fermentation temps for your 05 recipes and I've got a light blonde that definitely picked up some peach notes when I brewed it in teh low 60's with the 05. If I brewed your Summer Lager recipe and got a little of the same thing, I think I'd have a dead ringer for Lone Star. It's got a malt/corn/fruit sweetness (almost peachy) that not a lot of other beers have.
The reason I ask is that I'm brewing a version of your recipe this weekend and was just having a couple of Lone Stars last night (used to drink a lot of it before getting back into brewing). Since I haven't had any in quite a while, the sweet flavor really struck me and also really reminded me of this odd little Blonde Ale that I'd come up with.
I was all set to do the Summer Lager (very slightly modified) with S-23 or my WLP-860 Helles yeast slurry, but I might consider using the 05 instead.

watch where you get your 05, Ive had some bad batches in the past and ive herd others say that yeast can give off an odd flavor but Ive never tasted it my self, I always do a 3 day room temp at the end of my fermentation then a 33 degree cold crash for a week which drops all remaining yeast, I personally cant stand the taste of any yeast so I do all i can to get rid of it , the Amarillo will give off a sweet flavor also, I really don't mind a fruit flavor of any kind as long as it's subtle, cascade gives a different flavor all together with that beer and is what Im serving now

I would defiantly use the hells slurry if it was clean tasting

Ozarks Mountain Brew said:
I would defiantly use the hells slurry if it was clean tasting

The Helles has it's own character. Not exactly dead neutral, but very malt-forward. Slight fruitiness until it lagers clean. This brew might be just dry enough with the rice to get me to just the right place with that yeast. It goes fast...I pushed a Helles through from grain to glass in 21 days and it was pretty darn good.
I'll be using nobel hops for this version of the Summer Lager. I like your Amarillo hop schedule, but I've got a Simcoe/Amarillo Pale in the fermenter right now, so I want mix it up. The hops I'll use are the fruitier side of the nobel family, though - Saphir at 15 and Hallertau Blanc at 5 (with a little Magnum in the bittering addition).

just a note on the rice it takes a while to blend together with the malt, it may just be me but I can taste the rice in the beer but then goes away in about 20 days, its still everyones favorite, even the ladies

Ozarks Mountain Brew said:
just a note on the rice it takes a while to blend together with the malt, it may just be me but I can taste the rice in the beer but then goes away in about 20 days, its still everyones favorite, even the ladies

I may cut back and just use 1# of Rice. My LHBS guy has a very similar recipe that just uses 1# and I know he's had good luck with that one turning around quickly.

Here's what I brewed yesterday. I'm using the Summer Lager as a model, but with half the rice I guess it'll turn out pretty different.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... one-star-1

I'm hoping it'll turn around pretty quickly and settle into a good drinkable beer without too much lagering time. I'll be interested in brewing it again before the summer is out if I can work it in to my schedule. I'd like to try the original version (maybe with slightly different hops) after I try it and see how I like the rice adjunct as well as a version using corn or a combination of rice and corn.

Back