Over Night Mash

Hetken1

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am enjoying playing with my new Foundry/Anvil 10.5. I am interested in feedback on overnight mashing. I have the ability of maintaining temp with a slow recirculation. Anyone playing with this method? an if so what temp is suggested?

Seen a few videos on this and it looks interesting, but haven't tried it. So interested in anything you turn up.

Funny, I subscribe to these guys on Youtube and this very topic came up yesterday... I haven't watched it yet myself...

I've done it once or twice, largely when my scheduling or my own timing got messed up. It worked fine as long as you can somehow maintain a mash temperature. I use a Coleman cooler and lost around 6-8C overnight when I did it but the end result was still fine. The first 40 minutes or so is what does most of the conversion, and 60C is still hot enough to be safe from your usual infection.

I read the brulosophy article with great interest as I often do something similar but different. Due to being the cook here, the Queen has complained when a brew day extended into late evening or living in Colorado & brewing outdoors, winter brewing is often tough, I have broken the brew day into 2 sessions.
While I don't Mash overnight, I Mash & drain into a Carboy with an air check at the end of the 1st day. On the 2nd day, I boil & cool to fermentation temp & proceed as normal.
It breaks the time required into 2 shorter days with no effect on the brew. It makes it possible to brew & make dinner or brew when it's 30 deg F. Wash up can also be broken into shorter sessions as you clean as you go instead of all at once.

Back