Steve Russell

Premium Member
Reaction score
My last two brews I have had a problem with over carbonation. I have a quick carb lid and followed the directions as I have done in previous brews and packaging. I have tried everything to uncarbonate the beer from disconnecting the gas, purging the keg, letting it sit for hours etc. My local brew shop even told me to keep the beer in the fridge but actually removed the keg lid after I purge it and let it sit for 20-30 minutes. I thought maybe it was my beer lines so I disconnected the line to my keg faucet and used a picnic faucet and got the same results. I am not sure if its my C02 regulator or maybe even the gas post on my keg. I have pretty much eliminated everything else. My first 8 brews no issues, good pressure good pour! I know i am really reaching here but wanted to find out if anyone has any thoughts. Maybe if beer gets too carbonated you just can't uncarbonate it unless you let it go flat? The over carbed beer is a bit bitter and doesn't taste as good as my other beers. Thanks and Happy Fathers day to all of you!

I have had this happen from time to time. Honestly I just turn the gas off at the reg, then turn it down. Turn it back on. Once the gas level goes down it will start to regulate again.
It can take quite a few beers to degas enough though, depending on how over carbed it is.
After initial carbing, what do you set the reg at?

Turn the gas pressure down to ~5 psi
Vent the lid relief valve.
Repeat often.
Pour a beer or two and drink them.
Repeat
Also make sure your faucet is assembled correctly.
Good luck

if all else fails unhook the gas, take the keg out of the cold, let it warm to room temperature, go by and pull the valve every chance you get and warning "do not open the keg", it will foam like crazy

Wondering if there's an infection there if it tastes too bitter? Is it possible that the beer is still fermenting in the keg?

The thoughts around temperature are right, cold beer wants to foam less. Venting the headspace is also right, the CO2 will break out of solution to equalise the pressure.

If I get a foamy keg I just disconnect the gas and dispense the beer, that will use up the gas in the headspace without venting any aromas. Maybe trickle 1 or 2 PSI onto the beer to keep it flowing.

Wondering if there's an infection there if it tastes too bitter? Is it possible that the beer is still fermenting in the keg?

The thoughts around temperature are right, cold beer wants to foam less. Venting the headspace is also right, the CO2 will break out of solution to equalise the pressure.

If I get a foamy keg I just disconnect the gas and dispense the beer, that will use up the gas in the headspace without venting any aromas. Maybe trickle 1 or 2 PSI onto the beer to keep it flowing.
I appreciate the response, I did have an issue with fermentation but not sure if there is an infection, the beer is drinkable, but a little more bitter than I expected. I will attempt to depressurize a few more times.. thanks

if all else fails unhook the gas, take the keg out of the cold, let it warm to room temperature, go by and pull the valve every change you get and warning "do not open the keg", it will foam like crazy
Thank you will continue trying different things!

Turn the gas pressure down to ~5 psi
Vent the lid relief valve.
Repeat often.
Pour a beer or two and drink them.
Repeat
Also make sure your faucet is assembled correctly.
Good luck
Thanks Brian, I will continue to try and depressurize this beer with all the means mentioned above. Pouring the beer and drinking and repeating seems the best option ...lol

I have had this happen from time to time. Honestly I just turn the gas off at the reg, then turn it down. Turn it back on. Once the gas level goes down it will start to regulate again.
It can take quite a few beers to degas enough though, depending on how over carbed it is.
After initial carbing, what do you set the reg at?
My usual serving pressure is 10-11 psi, I have it at 5 now and will continue to try and release some of the pressure, thank you for the response!

Thank you all for the informative responses, I will continue to try and lower the carb in this beer, I have given away 3 growlers so far everyone said it was pretty good but not as good as my previous beers. Maybe they were being gracious since its free beer..lol I am going to attempt a Ballast Point Sculpin next, been doing lots of Hazy IPA's want to try a West Coast IPA.

My usual serving pressure is 10-11 psi, I have it at 5 now and will continue to try and release some of the pressure, thank you for the response!
Only other advise I can give, assuming the co2 level is ok. Serving tubing. I changed to EVA barrier tubing and most of issues went away

So the best way to get an overcarbed keg back to serving pressure is to put it in the shower or sink and shake the beer, release the pressure release valve until there is no foam, shake the keg, and repeat. Best in the shower from experience because then everything won't be all sticky.

I've severely overcarbed kegs and gotten them back to serving pressure in like 15 mins with this method.

As to the bitterness, I agree with the above comments, and would look to somewhere in the ferment something going wrong!

Back