Over-attenuation

PZ

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

My beers lately have been over-attenuating, some a little, others a lot. My recipes are all based on JZ's Classic Styles. My setup is normal -- all-grain, batch sparge in a 10-gallon cooler, nothing fancy. My concern is that I'm either doing something way wrong or have an infection somewhere. For example, an American Pale Ale (using 1056) with an OG of 50 had a predicted FG of 12 and an actual FG of 6. The beer tastes good, but is a little thin. Because I had been having this problem I have tried mashing a little higher -- 154.

I've had the problem with three different yeasts, and it doesn't seem to matter whether the yeast is from a fresh package or washed from a previous batch. When using washed yeast, I suspect I am over-pitching to compensate for the fact that I don't have a good sense of how much "non-yeast" material is in there. I always make a starter.

So far only one batch was truly terrible (and that one lost the foil off the starter and I stuck my head in the sand and kept going -- that one has an explanation). Ironically enough the problem started after I switched from BIAB to the cooler setup. My latest batch, an American Brown Ale, is ready to bottle. It looks clear and beautiful, but fermented down to 1.008 instead of 1.015. I feel like I shouldn't brew again until I figure this out.

My plan:
1. Replace all tubing.
2. Ferment in my bottling bucket, which has seen much less action that the others.
3. Super-sanitize the other fermenters (buckets -- I know they can get scratched, but I'm super careful) for a couple days in starsan or dilute chlorox.
4. I disassemble all the spigots every time I use them, but I could replace them as well.

Any ideas on what the problem is and how to fix it? Many thanks!!!

-PZ

just to clarify is there more alcohol or just a lower gravity with the correct alcohol ? it could be a too much water issue
and is your beginning gravity correct

The OGs are correct. I have checked the calibration of my hydrometer. Based on taste, I would say the alcohol is high. I don't know how to calculate the actual percent alcohol (although I do remember reading something about it).

The only difference the cooler would make is temperature - are you letting the temperature of the mash slide too far below your target? That makes the wort more fermentable and would give you lower final gravities and higher alcohol content. But be aware: In brewing any change in process yields a different beer. I use the cooler mash tun and always "overshoot" my initial temperature to allow for cooling. If you're not getting off-flavors, it's not an infection problem. So look to the temperatures and hey, we're homebrewers. A couple of points extra attenuation, so what.

Just noticed you said "to your taste the alcohol is high". If you're tasting alcohol unless the beer is very high in alcohol, you're likely tasting fusel alcohols. That means high temperature fermentation or contamination. Since you're not mentioning any other off flavors, I'll assume the "alcohol" taste is the only off flavor. High fermentation temperatures will, in addition to an "alcohol" or "solvent" flavor caused by fusel alcohols, lead to higher attenuation.

Dang, some days I feel like Click and Clack on NPR.... :lol:

Thanks, Nosy and Ozarks. The mash temp was my first guess (and least embarassing). I'm using multiple thermometers, and I am reasonably sure it's not too low. Most people I have asked about this ask if more alcohol is a problem :) Could a wild yeast that doesn't tast bad (yet) be on a rampage?

Been thinking about a couple things. My brew closet has an ambient temperature between 65-68. I can see a situation where, if I were to over-pitch and put ice packs on top of the bucket to keep it cool, that the inside temperature might be 72+ even though the stick-on thermometer says lower. Perhaps that would be enough for the yeast to get crazed. The ice packs could be giving me a false sense of control. Need that chest freezer! Thanks for the help!

yes one thing people seem to overlook is that even though the air is one temp, these busy creatures heat up the fermenter a couple of degrees higher so don't rely on air temp its not reliable

One thing I've done to try and cool fermenting wort is to wrap the carboy in a damp towel and put a small fan on it. I've got a RaspberryPi with a temperature sensor that monitors the temperature inside the wort and it dropped it a few degrees.

besides sticking a temp probe in the fermenter the best way to get a true temperature reading from the fermenter is stick it in water and read the water temp after an hour or so

Interesting tip. Unfortunately, not practical in a NYC apartment. A probe attached to a bucket inside a chest freezer would get me much closer and I'll keep better tabs on pitch rate. Thanks!

The "redneck swamp cooler" idea (one I use myself) works well here in the high, dry west. Other places, not so much.

temperature goes up and down every day here in the middle part of the jet stream, right now its 5 but later could be 40, does this even in the summer 40 to 90 and back again

Sounds like Colorado. Snow yesterday, 60 today....

Smitty27 said:
One thing I've done to try and cool fermenting wort is to wrap the carboy in a damp towel and put a small fan on it. I've got a RaspberryPi with a temperature sensor that monitors the temperature inside the wort and it dropped it a few degrees.
Are you using a program you wrote or something like brewpi? I just ordered my ds18b20 probes yesterday for this very application and was trying to figure out how to use my pi and piface to make a solid, remote manageable temp control.

I'd almost bet this is fermentation too high a temperature.. or pitching at too high a temp. if you are using washed yeast, that could be the blame, but that would lead to other off flavors.

Back