Opp's!

Vallka

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Got all my grain weighted out and then I ground them...................I used 1kg (2.2lb) of Torriffied Wheat instead of White Wheat................................. Will I survive!
Should I add the White Wheat anyway?

Torrified wheat should be already converted so it doesn't require enzymes from the base malt if I'm not mistaken. I think you'll be fine.

from more beer
"Torrified wheat is a pre-gelatinized unmalted brewers wheat that can be used as a cereal grain/adjunct in the mash, and can replace malted wheat if you desire. Increases body and head retention, as well as adding a very slight toasted flavor. We recommend using Rice Hulls with this grain to avoid a stuck mash."

it does not have as much sugar in it, I wouldn't use 2 pounds at all but it's up to you

from more beer
"Torrified wheat is a pre-gelatinized unmalted brewers wheat that can be used as a cereal grain/adjunct in the mash, and can replace malted wheat if you desire. Increases body and head retention, as well as adding a very slight toasted flavor. We recommend using Rice Hulls with this grain to avoid a stuck mash."

it does not have as much sugar in it, I wouldn't use 2 pounds at all but it's up to you
Should have clarified............I used the TW by mistake so it's in there already..lol
Just wonder if I should add the WW as well.

I wouldn't. But that's just me. Like Hogarthe, I don't think you'll get the same flavor but you will be fine. Adding the wheat late means it might not convert but it will add more extract, likely not necessary.

if you just need more sugar, you don't need wheat just add sugar, use the recipe editor

What's the percentage of Torrified? That's the only thing that will be important, ultimately. If it's within a reasonable percentage then the other malt will convert it and you'll be good to go.

I am probably a bit late with this answer, but like others have said, you should be fine with the torrified wheat. Your main concern is whether or not you have enough enzymes in the mash to convert the wheat. If you use the recipe editor, it will tell you if you have enough enzymes. At the bottom of your list of fermentables, you will see a DP and a number, which id the diastatic power of the mash (its ability to convert starches to sugar.) As long as the number is over 30 you should be good, though under 80 you might want to mash longer than 60 minutes.

Ok I was wrong. Torrified wheat does need enzymes from base malt. Its not pre converted, it is pre gelatinized. The gelatinizing makes the starches available for conversion. If it wasn't pre gelatinized you would need to do a cereal mash.

Back