OMEGA DIPA YEAST STARTER

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by jimmyz, May 20, 2017.

1. jimmyz

jimmyz Member

So I brewed today and will pitch tomorrow. (I do no chill) and i did a 2 cup 1035 gravity starter with the above yeast. I did the starter this morning and its ripping already. My question is can I split this starter and keep half for my next brew? My final gravity for the beer im pitching this into is 1057..

2. Trialben

Trialben Well-Known Member

Pest control tech
    T
    Try using the yeast calculator in your recipe half the cell count of the resultant pitch and see if you still have required cell count

3. Mark D Pirate

Mark D Pirate Well-Known Member

Master carpenter , all round good guy
    very small starter volume , no wonder the yeast is ripping through it but they won't be multiplying much if at all
    What is the batch size ?
    Calculating starter volumes and cell counts also factors in starter method ie stir pate , intermittent shaking

For my shaken starters on a 23 litre , 1.060 batch i usually build them to 1.5 - 1.8 litres and it's still a borderline underpitch depending which calculator you use .
    I do chill and decant off much of the spent beer and pitch yeast cold with very short lag times and strong ferments .

If you want to save half your yeast for next batch then let it ferment out , shake it up and split it into a small sealable jar then build half of it up to the volume you want for this batch
    Good news is you have viable yeast
    Bad news is you won't have time to build up a big enough starter in 24 hours

Trialben likes this.
  4. Ozarks Mountain Brew

Staff Member

IT Managment
    I agree, if you split that, make starters for both and you'll be fine, just split and maybe not

5. Trialben

Trialben Well-Known Member

Pest control tech
    Starter take forward planning eg next week I'm brewing this larger so I need at least 5 days to plan,a double step starter. Best results I recon would be build up existing yeast pinch a tiny bit for next brew and pitch it active.