OMEGA DIPA YEAST STARTER

jimmyz

Trial Member
Reaction score
So I brewed today and will pitch tomorrow. (I do no chill) and i did a 2 cup 1035 gravity starter with the above yeast. I did the starter this morning and its ripping already. My question is can I split this starter and keep half for my next brew? My final gravity for the beer im pitching this into is 1057..

T
So I brewed today and will pitch tomorrow. (I do no chill) and i did a 2 cup 1035 gravity starter with the above yeast. I did the starter this morning and its ripping already. My question is can I split this starter and keep half for my next brew? My final gravity for the beer im pitching this into is 1057..
Try using the yeast calculator in your recipe half the cell count of the resultant pitch and see if you still have required cell count

very small starter volume , no wonder the yeast is ripping through it but they won't be multiplying much if at all
What is the batch size ?
Calculating starter volumes and cell counts also factors in starter method ie stir pate , intermittent shaking

For my shaken starters on a 23 litre , 1.060 batch i usually build them to 1.5 - 1.8 litres and it's still a borderline underpitch depending which calculator you use .
I do chill and decant off much of the spent beer and pitch yeast cold with very short lag times and strong ferments .

If you want to save half your yeast for next batch then let it ferment out , shake it up and split it into a small sealable jar then build half of it up to the volume you want for this batch
Good news is you have viable yeast
Bad news is you won't have time to build up a big enough starter in 24 hours

I agree, if you split that, make starters for both and you'll be fine, just split and maybe not

Starter take forward planning eg next week I'm brewing this larger so I need at least 5 days to plan,a double step starter. Best results I recon would be build up existing yeast pinch a tiny bit for next brew and pitch it active.

Back