old yeast

jimmyz

Trial Member
Reaction score
Found and old sealed pack of wyeast forbidden fruit in the fridge. Decided I would make a starter to see if it’s still ok. Smacked the nutrient pack and it swelled. Pitched it into a small starter just in case it was bad. Pitched it to the starter but it smelled funny. It’s been on the stir plate overnight no sign of anything yet although it’s only been 12 hrs. Think I should ditch it?

Can you grow it up? Yes
Is it worth the time and effort? That's a question only you can answer.
Is your sanitation great? Are you willing to do multiple step ups? Do yo have a way of estimating cell count? Are you willing to waste a batch of ingredients and the time invested in brewing and packaging it?
Good healthy yeast makes good beer. Can you get it there?
Good Luck,
Brian

im going to let this starter ferment out then decant on another and taste it. Then go from there

Found and old sealed pack of wyeast forbidden fruit in the fridge. Decided I would make a starter to see if it’s still ok. Smacked the nutrient pack and it swelled. Pitched it into a small starter just in case it was bad. Pitched it to the starter but it smelled funny. It’s been on the stir plate overnight no sign of anything yet although it’s only been 12 hrs. Think I should ditch it?
Yeast is good for ~6 months from Wyeast if kept between 35-40 (f). But the viability at even 3 months is very low. Unless you are just experimenting or the yeast isn’t currently available, IMO.... throw it out and get a fresh package.

I won't tell you to use it or not, but I've used yeast well over a year old with zero issues.

http://www.wyeastlab.com/yeast-strain/forbidden-fruit
Haven't used this yeast myself but sounds like it has a little funk going on while fermenting. If the pack swelled then there is viable yeast in there. Brian is correct to see if you want to work with it or not. I would, I think I would throw it into a lower ABV wheat beer recipe from the present starter you have going. Every ale yeast is different even though they are closely related. With proper storage and obviously a tough yeast if it eats the starter up why not?

Back