Old Cans of Malt Extract

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by TeakwoodBrewing, Jul 13, 2014.

1. TeakwoodBrewing

TeakwoodBrewing New Member

I have 3 old cans of Munton and Fison Dark Hopped Malt Extract. I can't bring myself to throw them away....but they have been around for a long time (maybe 10 years). I was thinking of just getting some ale yeast and using say, two cans (3.3 lbs each) and following a beginners recipe from an old "The Complete Joy of Home Brewing" and making something simple. I won't have lost anything but a package of yeast and some priming sugar. Thoughts?

I also thought of adding some ginger or chocolate malt, again not spending too much in case it doesn't work out. Also, if I open the cans and can see/smell anything off, I wouldn't move forward at all...but won't know that until I decide to use for brewing or find another use. Again, thoughts on other uses if not a simple batch of beer?

Cheers

2. Ozarks Mountain Brew

Staff Member

IT Managment
    go for it, if it works great, cans would be better than plastic jugs for longevity so think it might work. I would be on the safe side and add your own finishing hop and possibly some sugar just in case

3. HbgBill

HbgBill New Member

I use it to make yeast starters. The yeasties don't care.