OG Estimates are way off

Old skewl

Trial Member
Reaction score
I posted this under the calculator section. Realized it belonged here.

I have noticed recently that my OG estimates in my Brewersfreind.com recipes have been very high. I have double checked my water amounts and my efficiency percentages. As an example, I brewed an IPA over the weekend. The recipe had about 15.25 lbs of grain, 5.5 gal post boil, and even an efficeincy as low as 60%. It was giving me an OG of 1.091 and I plugged it into the free calculator on the site at my 70% efficiency and it gave me 1.072. I acheived 1.070. I even reviewed some recipes online to compare and most 14-15 lb recipes came in around 1.065 - 1.070. I realize everyones efficiency varies but 1.091 is way off. I also have started doing 2.5 gal batches and those numbers are even further off. What am I missing? Any advice would be appreciated.

I posted this under the calculator section. Realized it belonged here.

I have noticed recently that my OG estimates in my Brewersfreind.com recipes have been very high. I have double checked my water amounts and my efficiency percentages. As an example, I brewed an IPA over the weekend. The recipe had about 15.25 lbs of grain, 5.5 gal post boil, and even an efficeincy as low as 60%. It was giving me an OG of 1.091 and I plugged it into the free calculator on the site at my 70% efficiency and it gave me 1.072. I acheived 1.070. I even reviewed some recipes online to compare and most 14-15 lb recipes came in around 1.065 - 1.070. I realize everyones efficiency varies but 1.091 is way off. I also have started doing 2.5 gal batches and those numbers are even further off. What am I missing? Any advice would be appreciated.
I'm sure the OG number the recipe Calc spits out is based on your efficiency number
Screenshot_20220907-130043_Samsung Internet.jpg

Dead on 1.070 at 75% brewhouse efficiency.

So what you gotta do i think is change your brew house efficiency number to reflect what gravity reading you expect or get using that volume of grain.

I'm guessing it may be a glitch. I just created a new recipe using both of my equipment profiles and at 70% efficiency I got a 1.073 OG and at 60% efficiency I got 1.063 OG. Weird!

@Old skewl When I took a look at your recipe it seemed fine, but when I checked out the inventory I noticed the issue right away.

The Base malt you're using is not checked as a mashed ingredient, and anything that is not mashed assumes a 100% efficiency.

upload_2022-9-7_12-40-27.png

The easiest way to check if your efficiency is behaving as expected is to change it to 0%, and check the "PTS" of all of your grains, if anything has any gravity points then it's not working as expected.

upload_2022-9-7_12-41-55.png

Sure enough, that did the trick. Thank you! I guess I need to make sure that mashed is checked on all of my grains. Its funny that the recipe I created this morning calculated correctly though. How does it determine if you are using grain in the inventory or not?

Sure enough, that did the trick. Thank you! I guess I need to make sure that mashed is checked on all of my grains. Its funny that the recipe I created this morning calculated correctly though. How does it determine if you are using grain in the inventory or not?
The recipe you made today using Briess used the standard "catalog" ingredient, so you didn't run into that issue. Similarly if another user copies your recipe and there's a standard ingredient that matches, the system might convert it to the standard ingredient so they won't see your bug.

When using the dropdown for choosing an ingredient you'll see sections for your inventory, any group inventories you're a member of, and then the public BF catalog.

upload_2022-9-7_13-24-13.png

Ha ha! I forgot I switched it to Briess 2-row. Sounds like I need to slow down and look at things more closely. I got a wild hair to brew a batch on Labor Day and rushed through making a recipe with what I had on hand. Looks like I missed some fine details. Thanks for the helping me better understand the tool.

Ha ha! I forgot I switched it to Briess 2-row. Sounds like I need to slow down and look at things more closely. I got a wild hair to brew a batch on Labor Day and rushed through making a recipe with what I had on hand. Looks like I missed some fine details. Thanks for the helping me better understand the tool.
Anytime, glad we were able to get it resolved! Thanks for reaching out when things didn't seem quite right!

Back