Oatmeal Pale Ale Recipe

First thing, I think you're going to get a much more sessionable beer than you intend. You need to boil off 7.5 liters of water to get from your initial volume to your final volume and a hard boil will boil off four liters per hour. At that BU/GU ratio (54 IBUs / 46 gravity points), it'll definitely be hoppy. I'd back off a few IBUs, probably from the 60 minute charge, to get a more sessionable beer. But then, the Biscuit might balance it out - you'll have to brew it and see. Barring severe process errors, it should make a good beer if you adjust the boil volume down a bit.

X2 to Nosy's comments and I would add that 30 percent oats is probably too much. With less than 60 percent base malt you're starting to push into diastatic power limits. I'd suggest subbing 10 percent wheat malt for part of it. That will give you enzymes for conversion and can add some proteins for body as well.

Thank you guys for your advice! I definitely adjusted to boil volume. I think based on my kettle and temperatures of boiling it should be good now. Also a great idea for the wheat malts. I wouldn't have thought of that and wasn't really aware about diastatic power limits. I decided to add just a touch more wheat malt to bump the ABV up to 5%~. Thanks again!

Back