Oatmeal Coffee Stout

beer1965

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone..

So I have some left over DME from my first brew in the spring, and some dark LME that I needed for a dark danish rye bread. I went to my local supply store and got some grains, hops and yeast and am thinking of making this recipe. It's pretty much made up as I'm experimenting. I'll just make 2.5 or maybe 3 gallons. The alcohol is a bit high but I'm not sure that's a bad thing. And I'm not sure about how to add the coffee - last ten minutes? And then I'm thinking no point making the coffee - maybe just throw some grains into the boil? Or how about some baker's chocolate at the same time? But how much of each? Any thoughts on the recipe would be appreciated. Thanks!

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/920489/oatmeal-coffee-stout

Last edited:
I add fresh ground coffee to the fermenter for my Coffee Porter. Used a bag once, but just tossed them in since, grinds settle to the bottom just like hops.

Yeah I wouldnt boil your espresso as I see in you recipe link. Either move that to below 100c (boiling) or as Craigerr puts it into secondary (once primary fermentation has run its course).
You could also dabble in a bit of cacao nibs as well for the chocolate thing.

But to be honest if you use your roast malts right you'll get these flavors from them alone.
Back them up with an hefty charge or dark crystal malts like 400-500g and you'll be laughing though the espresso will seal the deal coffee wise.

In your roast /choc malt department I'd go more choc than roast and I'd make sure I was using light choc malt.
But dont forget your hops as well to back up these roasty malty silky creamy flavours or it will come across just sweet I'd add some goldings maybe 15-20min left in the boil.

I add fresh ground coffee to the fermenter for my Coffee Porter. Used a bag once, but just tossed them in since, grinds settle to the bottom just like hops.
Thanks.. how much would you add per gallon, and I'm thinking not to use a secondary so when would you add it then? After you pitch the yeast?

Yeah I wouldnt boil your espresso as I see in you recipe link. Either move that to below 100c (boiling) or as Craigerr puts it into secondary (once primary fermentation has run its course).
You could also dabble in a bit of cacao nibs as well for the chocolate thing.

But to be honest if you use your roast malts right you'll get these flavors from them alone.
Back them up with an hefty charge or dark crystal malts like 400-500g and you'll be laughing though the espresso will seal the deal coffee wise.

In your roast /choc malt department I'd go more choc than roast and I'd make sure I was using light choc malt.
But dont forget your hops as well to back up these roasty malty silky creamy flavours or it will come across just sweet I'd add some goldings maybe 15-20min left in the boil.

Thanks for this.. what do you mean when you say 'move that to below 100c? If I'm not using a secondary do you mean after fermentation looks to have slowed considerably a few days in to throw in some coffee grinds? But then doesn't that risk contamination? Good piont on the dark crystal malts - still learning. On the goldings.. what would you think a good IBU target to be on this type of oatmeal brew? Thanks for everything..

Thanks.. how much would you add per gallon, and I'm thinking not to use a secondary so when would you add it then? After you pitch the yeast?
I don't do a secondary. I have added the fresh ground coffee directly to the fermenter after krauzen has dropped. Have never had an infection with this method. Another method would be to brew a super strong coffee, and add that to the fermenter. You can even do this when packaging, and add it to suit your taste.
Hope this helps.

I don't do a secondary. I have added the fresh ground coffee directly to the fermenter after krauzen has dropped. Have never had an infection with this method. Another method would be to brew a super strong coffee, and add that to the fermenter. You can even do this when packaging, and add it to suit your taste.
Hope this helps.

@Craigerrr, I'm glad to hear you add additions directly to primary as I did this for the first time yesterday. I added crushed coffee beans and coconut directly to primary for a coconut coffee stout I'm making for a Christmas present.

Thanks for this.. what do you mean when you say 'move that to below 100c? If I'm not using a secondary do you mean after fermentation looks to have slowed considerably a few days in to throw in some coffee grinds? But then doesn't that risk contamination? Good piont on the dark crystal malts - still learning. On the goldings.. what would you think a good IBU target to be on this type of oatmeal brew? Thanks for everything..
Below 100c your recipie had add espresso 10min left in boil. Boiling coffee makes it bitter well it does to me when I'm making it at home.
Adding it to secondary will help retain the flavour and aroma of the coffee and will probably give you a smoother coffee flavour than if you boiled it.

Coconut? In what form?

Oh! Yes of course

Back