Nottingham Yeast no activity

Brewer #73650

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I made one 11L American Pale Ale with OG=1047, FB=1013 targeted. I normally used Safale 04 and within hours there is activity. This time I didn't have the 04 and purchase 10 gr of Nottingham from a brewer friend nearby. I did exactly as the other batches, just in 14 hours no activity (no bubbles or krausen).
Whats do you think might be? The same yeast the other brewer is using it now I think. Might be the yeast or what else?
I did not rehidrate it before, just pitch in 19 degrees celsius. The batch was aerated manually in the bucket by shaking it few times before adding the yeast. After adding the yeast I shake it few more time to yeast to dilute inside. So far no activity. I move slowly the bucket so the sediment from the bottom move around, maybe it will activate the yeast. Hmmm....

Cheers,

Hi guys,

I made one 11L American Pale Ale with OG=1047, FB=1013 targeted. I normally used Safale 04 and within hours there is activity. This time I didn't have the 04 and purchase 10 gr of Nottingham from a brewer friend nearby. I did exactly as the other batches, just in 14 hours no activity (no bubbles or krausen).
Whats do you think might be? The same yeast the other brewer is using it now I think. Might be the yeast or what else?
I did not rehidrate it before, just pitch in 19 degrees celsius. The batch was aerated manually in the bucket by shaking it few times before adding the yeast. After adding the yeast I shake it few more time to yeast to dilute inside. So far no activity. I move slowly the bucket so the sediment from the bottom move around, maybe it will activate the yeast. Hmmm....

Cheers,
I use Gervin a fair bit,think that is the equivilant of Notty and not had any problems.I usually re hydrate nowdays but have also just slung it on the top. I do tend to pitch my yeasts at around 26c and have even done so at 30c with no ill effects.
Could be 19c is just a tad too cool!

Hichub1,

Thanks for your reply. The strange part is that I did before pitching at 19. Thus didn't use Nottingham (I used S-04). Make the same recipe.
The fact is that I am out of yeast at the moment, it will take few days until receive more. But I have another batch fermenting, might take yeast from there?? What you guys think of it?

Cheers,

Wait a few days. I bet it'll be fine. I use S04 and S05 almost exclusively for ales. Sometimes there's a delay.

Hi jeffpn,

I'll wait one more day and see what happened. As far as I know Nottingham it should be faster than S-04 or S-05. Anyway, I'll have to wait.
What you found better for Ale's? S-04 or S-05. From what I've read S-05 should be better than S-04. What's your opinion?

Thanks,

Hi guys,

Cheers,
The most likely cause of no bubbles is a gas leak somewhere. If you have sugar, yeast, oxygen and it's not too cold or hot, you will get fermentation. Next most likely cause, not enough time. I've had fermentations lag as much as 36 hours. My keys to fermentation: rehydrate dried yeast. Always. You don't, you kill off half your cells (and conversely, you do, you don't need a starter below 1.060 OG). Make sure the yeast has enough O2. Shaking gives you marginally enough if your gravity is low, as yours was. The next most likely cause, non-viable yeast, can nearly be ruled out: Dried yeast is very hardy. Overheating and chilling are also unlikely so here's my best guess: Your fermentor leaks. If there's krauesen, it's fermenting.

Give the FV a gentle swirl and try and keep the temp decent.
I have a milk stout on the go at present,its sitting at 19c.Went off like a bomb(Gervin/Notty) but room temp dropped a few nights(been chilly here of late) and it all slowed right down,infact i thought that it may have stuck,however temps have risen again and a test of it today has proved that it's still fermenting BUT slowly.
Soooooooo patience i think:D

What you'll probably find is that it's working more than you think. If you think the wort is absolutely unchanged like not even a few bubbles at the edges, there might be a bad batch of yeast. Since you got it from another brewer is it possible that it was really old or wasn't stored well? I wouldn't expect so, but there must be a reason it's going so slowly.
Definitely give another day and re-pitch if needed, but if there's even a hint of activity, I'd take a reading just out of curiosity.
BTW...Notty likely will attenuate way more than S-04 and you'll probably find that on a .047 beer your FG will be more like .008 or .009

Check the gravity for sure this will tell you what's going on inside the wort.

Reactions: J A
We used Notty on a RIS , it took 50 odd hours to kick off properly but had 1.09 wort to work on has dragged that down to 1.022 so far :) still a few points to go yet before going in a barrel with bourbon and 5 other brewers batches for a year or so

I use S05 mostly. I use S04 when I'm feeling British.

Hi all,

Thanks for your reply. Makes a great homebrewers community.
I use a 20L water as a fermenter. There is no krausen or bubbling, so I am guessing there is no fermentation. If no bubbling but krausen on top then yes, a leak for sure. But no bubbling or krausen either. The sediment it's sitting down now. I move again and see what happened (this is the 3-4 times I am moving it).
The gravity it's just 1047, not that high.
The homebrewer I got it from keep it in the fridge, usually without the air (air sucktion from the bag). It's not that amateur brewer so I am guessing it's not expired as it's using brewing pretty often.

"BTW...Notty likely will attenuate way more than S-04 and you'll probably find that on a .047 beer your FG will be more like .008 or .009"
I hope this will be the FG around, at the moment targeting 1014 and I am getting 1020.
Patience I guess it's the word. I'll wait another day and see what happened. If does not start most probably bacteria will start to take off.
Considering I don't have another pack of yeast on hand and I will get it in another 3-4 days, most probably I will bottle the batch I have fermenting correctly and take the sediments with yeast out and pitch this batch. I might save something. Never did it so far, but it cannot be rocket science. I'll read some stuf to see how to do it properly, and hope there is no mutants yest there.

Cheers,

I am fermenting at 19 degrees celsius temp. outside the fermenter. Inside probably 1-2 degrees more.

That's a bit high for notty , its happier cooler than that unless you want some esters once it kicks off .
Washing yeast is easy enough or you can just pitch a cup of slurry and it'll take off in a few hours

I am fermenting at 19 degrees celsius temp. outside the fermenter. Inside probably 1-2 degrees more.
Great idea. Bottle that other batch then open up the tap/or if not just pour this unfermented batch straight ontop of it should go off like a rocket:p.
Taste it before bottling youll know if its dodgey. Good luck dont lose hope.​

My current batch had a simillar start to fermentation but kicked off eventuallyafter 48ish hours and its dropped to 1.006 85% attenuation!

Back