Nosybear, you out there?

GernBlanston

Trial Member
Reaction score
Nosy, You get locked up or something? I haven't seen you for a while, and your blog is a ghost town. You alright?

All is mostly well. I'll fill you in Thursday night, assuming you show up. Currently in Texas moving Daughter's stuff to Colorado.

Nosybear said:
All is mostly well. I'll fill you in Thursday night, assuming you show up. Currently in Texas moving Daughter's stuff to Colorado.

What part of Texas are you in?

I'm in San Marcos, about 30 minutes south of Austin.

Currently back in Colorado: I was in the Houston/San Antonio area.

Nosybear said:
Currently back in Colorado: I was in the Houston/San Antonio area.

You were bouncing between the two?

That's a huge geographic area. I'm just north of San Antonio.

I have a small ranch just south of San Antonio, In the corn fields lol

I have season tickets for the Dayton (Ohio) Dragons. They're a A farm team for the Cincinnati Reds. I saw a guy there Saturday night, and he said he was in town for the All Star game. He lives in San Antonio, and he has Reds season tickets. Talk about bouncing between the two!

Moving my daughter's stuff up here. Nasty divorce scenario but we got her out of Texas. After this go i never want to live east of I 25 and north of I 40 again.

Austin, had i known we could have arranged a meeting. My in-laws are just off I 10 on the north side of SAT.

Wow, everyone talking about south Texas! I just took a job in McAllen (yeah, I know, even farther down there...) and will be moving next week. Any good breweries in the area to try? Where do I go to find great beer?

Ben Coy said:
Wow, everyone talking about south Texas! I just took a job in McAllen (yeah, I know, even farther down there...) and will be moving next week. Any good breweries in the area to try? Where do I go to find great beer?

Colorado?

Texans love their Lone Star and Shiner Bock. Enough said?

when I live there we drank a lot of Tecate and Dos Equis, basically water but when its 130 in the shade it was good lol

Tecate and Dos Equis? My response stands.... ;-)

I did visit Freetail Brewing in San Antonio last trip south. Not bad. We visited a brewery in Boerne, too. I can't remember the name and couldn't recommend it if I did.

Nosybear said:
Texans love their Lone Star and Shiner Bock. Enough said?

Yes we do.

Lonestar is river beer. Shiner Bock is highest quality tap at most beer joints.

Yep, I choked down a Shiner Bock last time I was there.... Desperation is a mother! And there was nothing better on the beer list of one of the nicest places in Fredericksburg, TX. There's a brewery there but I didn't get a chance to sample.

well first of all Texas is huge, just to drive to the store form my ranch tool 30 minutes one way on a highway like I35, I lived in a dry county, so you can imagine my problem, I had to truck warm beer from San Antonio to my house trice a week so you get what you get when can lol, I had a store called HEB that carried a lot of good varieties

I found myself spending a lot more time in Texas than I'd ever want in the past.... I'm familiar with HEB - some of the newer ones have a pretty dang good selection of beers and there's nothing wrong with some of the Texas microbreweries - St Arnold and Independence come to mind very quickly, as does Real Ale. St. Arnold's "Fancy Lawnmower" inspired one of my recipes that was on a commercial tap in Dillon, CO all last summer! Now that I'm a two-fridge brewer, need to do that one again but I digress. And yes, Texas is huge! One of my summer vacation activities was driving a 26-foot Penske rental from Houston to Denver. After two days in Texas, I was glad to see Oklahoma, if you can imagine that! We don't have Spec's here, either, and those I've been in have had a very good beer selection, including a lot of imports. So not all Texans believe Shiner Bock is good beer and Blue Moon is craft beer. In the heat and humidity of Houston, something fizzy, yellow and light is probably the best bet, particularly if it's made with hop extract and won't skunk in the sun....

Thanks for the tips! I'll keep my eyes out for those local microbreweries -- but it sounds like I'm going to have to increase my brewing frequency if I want to have a steady supply of something drinkable.

Back