No Time To Step Up Yeast

SwampWater

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I have 2 packs of Wyeast 1762 Abbey Ale II dated May 13. My OG is 1.068. I don't have time to step it up if I want to brew in a few days. I do, however, have a 5 L flask w/stir plate and according to Brewers Friend I will have enough cells if I make a 5 L starter. The packs will be 112 days old when I make my starter. Am I good to go?

SwampWater

The yeast is estimated at only 30% viability at this point, which is pretty low.

Yes, you really want to make a starter! Starters only take 3-4 days max, so it sounds like you have time. All you need is the right amount of DME for the starter.

What pitching rate are you trying to hit, and what is the batch size?

Link to yeast calculator:
http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitc ... alculator/

If you have two packs, you shouldn't need to step up. Just pitch both - they are supposed to be good up to about 1.055 alone. I generally do starters but really don't need to for ales. Lagers are a different story and I'm doing a big one this weekend, so starters are a must there. I just did two generations for a 9.5% monster that's bubbling away in the basement as we speak.

13 gallons. I am going with probrewer 1.0 with the calculator from here. I have changed my brew day so I can step up if needed.

At 13 gallons at that gravity you really need a huge starter.

I decided to step it up and delay brewing until next week.

The Abbey Ale II was a few days out of date. It didn't swell completely. Made a 2.5 L starter and it took over a day to get going. It finally did and I'll step it up in a few days and brew next Friday.

I think you made the right move.

Have an awesome brew day!

I stepped it up to a 4 L starter yesterday and it only took a few hours to get going. It is really going right now. Looks like brewday is on Sept. 16.

Back