No fermetation after 24hrs. Octobest brew

Jamisonh

Trial Member
Reaction score
I was hoping some one could help with this. I made a Octoberfest brew 24hrs ago and still do not see any sign of fermentation starting. I used WLP820 Octoberfest lager yeast. My temp is 68. Am I jumping the gun on worrying or did I screw up. I guess my question is how long before seeing Activity should I wait before panicing?

Likely you're jumping the gun on worrying. Give it some time. Lagers tend to be slow to start.

Your temp is a little high for that yeast. Lager yeasts should, in general, be pitched and fermented at 60 or lower. That being said, the lag period is still there, even at higher temps. If you pitched the liquid yeast directly in, it'll take a little while to build up to the point that you see vigorous activity. You don't mention what sort of vessel you're using, but even if you have a carboy and you're looking for krausen, it can take a little while.
Also I'd check the expiration date for the yeast. That yeast is usually made available long before now and may be nearing the limits of its viability. Even at that, you'll see some activity soon unless something in the handling of the yeast completely killed it...but that's really highly unlikely.
I'd drop the temp, though.

Last edited:
I was hoping some one could help with this. I made a Octoberfest brew 24hrs ago and still do not see any sign of fermentation starting. I used WLP820 Octoberfest lager yeast. My temp is 68. Am I jumping the gun on worrying or did I screw up. I guess my question is how long before seeing Activity should I wait before panicing?

Lager yeast usually takes a little longer to get going but 24hrs is no reason to panic on any yeast. On the other hand you are using a lager yeast and fermenting at ale yeast temperature. You need to slowly bring the temperature down to lager fermenting temps. I use this yeast and it does well for me at 50f-54f degrees. Others may go lower or higher than this. If you are using a bucket it may be leaking and you won't see the activity begin
https://www.whitelabs.com/yeast-bank/wlp820-oktoberfest-m-rzen-lager-yeast

Reactions: J A
Agree with all above. If you can ferment cooler, do so. And since you started so warm, don't forget a diacetyl rest at the end of the fermentation.

Reactions: J A

Back