Nitrous oxide vs CO2

Fencer

Trial Member
Reaction score
I am brewing a batch of Guinness Extra Stout Clone for the first time. (Recipe originally posted by H G Brewing.)
I modified the recipe from partial grain to full grain and have it in fermentation now.
My plan is to keg with NO, nitrous oxide.
1)- Should dry stout be kegged with NO?
2) Are there any guidelines for volumes CO2 vs NO?

You could try there.... they fit in place of the CO2 capsules used to pressurize Kegs.

http://www.easywhip.com/wholesale-w...MI2dLH9tbI4AIVLrftCh0XcQtQEAAYAiAAEgKfufD_BwE

yhst-172583896-9_2528_15963128

Isn't it poisonous?
I wrote the wrong abbreviation should be N2O, laughing gas or whippets.
I googled the question, which I probably should have done first, and got a whole range of answers.
Most say not a good idea. Guinness uses a 3:1 nitrogen/ carbon dioxide mix to over pressurize during dispensing.
I think I will leave the idea behind and just use 2.1 volumes of CO2 to carbonate.
Thanks for your help and support.

You can get high on N2O, but not CO2. Had a friend that never left home without his whipped cream dispenser and some whippets.

You can carbonate with c02, then pour with nitrogen, especially if you have a stout faucet or you can get beer gas which is a mix.

I wrote the wrong abbreviation should be N2O, laughing gas or whippets.
I googled the question, which I probably should have done first, and got a whole range of answers.
Most say not a good idea. Guinness uses a 3:1 nitrogen/ carbon dioxide mix to over pressurize during dispensing.
I think I will leave the idea behind and just use 2.1 volumes of CO2 to carbonate.
Thanks for your help and support.
I agree: The nitrogen they're using is N2, about three-quarters of our atmosphere. Although I could imagine laughing gas in some beers....

I agree: The nitrogen they're using is N2, about three-quarters of our atmosphere. Although I could imagine laughing gas in some beers....

Probably best in NA beers :)

Dang! If you carbonated with helium would it be a light beer?

I was just looking for that video to post, maybe it's a fake, but it is Fuuuu Kneeee!

Been thinking about adding nitro to the kegerator. I was going to do as Yooper suggested, which is to carbonate the keg with CO2 and then dispense with the Nitrogen / CO2 mix that's sold as beer gas. Once I've got one of those fancy nozzels for stout dispensing.

Hmm Whippet beer would fall where in the BJCP?

Back