Next Brew Shashed ale - Belgium style

Looks good, I don't think you'll taste the hops at those amounts. I've experienced that the fruity and citrusy hops are hard to find the flavor when pairing with Belgian yeasts. They run together on my palate.

My HBS recommended the yeast and hops. said ferment at at 65 to 68 to knock out the fruitiness of the yeast. I know this looks strange but its home brewing so why not?

wow you went saison on this smash! just me but im guessing the yeast might overpower the hops id go a neutral yeast if you wanna taste the Amarillo.
No need to neutralize the yeast...Saison yeasts can provide intense flavors that really enhance and add complexity to hop flavors, whether it's fruity, floral or spicy. I did my Sorachi Ace/Lemon Drop with a Mangrove Jack French Saison yeast and it was fantastic. Bright citrus and herbal notes from the hops and peppery, fruity notes from they yeast blended very well. I've done that same beer with T-58 dry Belgian yeast and while it was quite good, the bland bubble-gummy flavor of that yeast didn't make the flavors pop the same way.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/embed/610042"

trying new hops and yeast
mash at 154
ferment at 65 to 68f
Looks good to me and definitely start fermentation lower 60s then if it needs ramp up as far as need be to finish it out. Belle Saison finishes out well for me at 72f after it starts to slow at lower temp. It has that Belgian fruity funk that will pair with those hops. I like plenty of hop character so if I brewed this I think I would shoot for around 30 to 50 IBUs. But it's your beer and you should brew it how you want the bittering.

Reactions: dfj
think I will move the 15 minute back to 30 min for a tad more IBU

No need to neutralize the yeast...Saison yeasts can provide intense flavors that really enhance and add complexity to hop flavors, whether it's fruity, floral or spicy. I did my Sorachi Ace/Lemon Drop with a Mangrove Jack French Saison yeast and it was fantastic. Bright citrus and herbal notes from the hops and peppery, fruity notes from they yeast blended very well. I've done that same beer with T-58 dry Belgian yeast and while it was quite good, the bland bubble-gummy flavor of that yeast didn't make the flavors pop the same way.
yeah i get that i just was thinking about the flaverfull character from the saison and thought it could overpower the Amarillo. but yes if it compliments the hopz then yes it will in enhance them flavors. my mango saison kicked.last night and that is a good example of hops fruit and yeast all complimenting one another.

Reactions: J A

Back