Newbie water profile

cdbreez

Trial Member
Reaction score
OK, Getting ready to clone the Mad Hatter IPA by New Holland brewing, Got a water analysis by Ward Labs. Not sure how to use my report. Not necessarily trying to duplicate the Midwest IPA water profile if there even is one. Just would like to learn how to adjust my water profile to make a good beer. I do BIAB

Results are:
pH 7.8
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm 114
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.19
Cations / Anions, me/L 1.6/1.5
ppm
Sodium, Na 17
Potassium, K 3
Calcium, Ca 11
Magnesium, Mg 2
Total Hardness, CaCO 36
Nitrate, NO3-N < 0.1 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S 9
Chloride, Cl 17
Carbonate, CO3 < 1.0
Bicarbonate, HCO3 33
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 27
Total Phosphorus, P 0.08
Total Iron, Fe 0.03
What changes to my water should I make? This water was filtered through a charcoal filter to remove chlorine.

Very similar to my water profile ive got no advise mate im learning me water too:). I know its definitely soft and suited to lighter style like pilsner. Not bad water to brew with though nice and light in all departments.

I use EZWater: http://www.ezwatercalculator.com/

You can download the spreadsheet and fill in the necessary fields with your water reports result, grain bill and adjust your water profile ( with gypsum, MgSO4, etc. ) to match whatever profile you want. At the bottom of the spreadsheet you can see how the addition of various salts affect the water and what will the final profile result in: malty, balanced or bitter.

Regarding chloride rich water: it should be good for IPAs.*** ( Corrected )

Last edited:
I thought chlorine was not desirable in any beer?

My bad... I meant Chloride and apparently went ahead and wrote some mumubo.jumbo.

I meant of course Chloride in water.

Back