New smash turned out pretty interesting

BrewerRick

Premium Member
Reaction score
So i was very bored one day at the brewery so i asked my boss here in Mexico. why dont we make a very light simple brew thats light and enjoyable like a lagerish because people here cant handle the taste of craft beer or many other styles for that matter. no offence just my observations.

I put together something very basic so they can se the process of selecting grains mixing cooking trying hop tea etc. So i made a small 50L batch with two row and centennial hops. gave it about 3.2 alcohol and about 19IBU with safale 05, kegged but not filtered (yet) actually turned out super light and refreshing and the centennial hops shine so smooth and balanced its like a corona ale lol. just better flavour and smell.

So thursday ill be brewing 15HL to do the process properly and able to filter etc. just might be the new can of brew ...

ill post pics up as we brew till the final product if you guys are interested. i also have a FB page here at the brewery i post almost everything, competitions, events, brewdays, tips tricks, etc. wicked hops brewing

ill post a pic of this brew a bit later. i want to do two batched one with safale 05 yeast and the other with champagne yeast to see what works nicer and smoother.

thats the first lite beer I brewed when I started brewing in a bag with a turkey fryer years ago, my family loved it, good luck with it....we call that a Lawn mower beer here

recipes don't have to be complicated to be delicious , really enjoyed my last few batches of SmaSh and they furthered my understanding of what each malt and hops bring to the party

Definitely keen for the updates Rick wondering why you were MIA because you wee crafting some new brew hope she turns out the same on your big system cheers

thanks guys, yeah simple is always nice, tomorrow ill post pics up we will be brewing a 1500 L batch should be fun experimenting.

My brewery is called Cervezeria Patito its on facebook and the restaurant we have is hermana republica. its pretty nice, i get to play with all the cool toys and do new things. i cant complain i love it.

Patito is that your house brew rick? I'm just googling your brewery? How'd you get your foot in the door there? I've always wondered how a career as an assistant brewer or even a broom operator at a micro brewery might be? Eg I brew beer as a hobby and because I love beer but you brew beer for more than this you brew to also make a living now that changes things.

I don't mean to pry rick ;).

No, not a problem. Actually i was in the military and i got injured and Canada has some nice programs so while i was getting better i had the oportunity to go to a local brewery to learn and help out, more of a get my mind out of the gutter and kept me busy, after 5 years i got the hang of it quite well. i live off my military pension so im covered for a while, moved to mexico then saw this place tried the beer and no go for me, it needed some help. I came it talked to the manager and they gave me an awesome chance to brew and help out.

Now im the head brewer and the beers are turning out very consistent and im getting the oportunity to do great things and meet some great brewers and people alike, i get to do experimental beers and crazy stuff.. honestly its been my dream and im living it. take chances, go offer help without pay, try to get involved and im sure they will accept you with open arms. thats what brewings all about then you get to sit with everyone and enjoy the days hard work. from the month before that is lol

So that patito what that's your standard Mexican lager Rick? Yea there are a few local craft breweries around here I'm a bit green in terms of me offering them brewing advice but yea wouldn't mind helping out maybe cleaning out the mash tun and cleaning the kettles

nice job, thanks for that, hope it turns out great, I'm sure it will

Back