New porter recipe

Looks a little hoppy for style but if you're not interested in stylistic brewing, go for it. Should be complex with all those different malts.

yes the IBU level is pushing it for style, but is purposeful. I think all are from basically same lineage herbal and floral and I'm hopeful that perceived hop bitterness will be low due to the residual sweetness in the finished beer and the timing of the bittering additions i feel lend themselves to more aroma than bitterness (in theory )

i've never used them, but the crystal hops seem like they might be a little out of place for a porter, at least for a "typical" one.
the vienna and maris otter should go well together, i might even bump up the vienna. maybe double it.

FWIW OMB I hate to nerd out :) and I by no means discount your advice (cuz your possibly correct)I've been reading Terry Fosters history of porters and stouts (my inspiration for the batch) and in all the literature the highest recorded historical Porter he listed 1.064 and that was on the extreme high end for OG with a good majority falling in the 1.045 OG range.

Admittedly my research into brown ale is lacking :)

yes things have defiantly changed over the years and centuries, brown ales and porters seem to be merging these days and lower gravities are showing up since world war 1

Back