New Features Today!

Yooper

Administrator
Lifetime Member
Staff member
Established Member
Reaction score
Did you see this?

The Water Calc Updates 1.6 includes better recipe integration with pH prediction, Brew Session event log for pH, and removed view count increment if you are viewing your recipe.

I know it was irritating to look at your own recipe and see the view count go up, because you didn't see how many visitors viewed the recipe. That's fixed, and I love it!

We also have the water calc integrated more firmly into the recipe builder, where the salts and acids you add to the water are automatically pulled into the recipe.

What do you think of these new updates?

Have you folks implemented sauergut as an option for ph, for those of us that really get deep into brewing our German lagers?

Nice! Really like the recipe viewing addition...er not addition:D

Great update!

Yep very cool BF! I dont think it could get much better than this? Whenever i meet another brew i ask them what recipe platform you use and cant wait to tell them all the cool features this websites Awesome stuff:)!

I just noticed that! Thank you for such a great update!

Yes, it's in there as acidulated malt (acid malt).
Not quite the same thing. Sauergut and lacto starters aren't static acid additions, and they're not poured in as a % of grain weight. I'll try playing with the % concentration on lactic acid and see how that works.

I don't have a great way to address acid rests; the resulting pH does not come from any predictable additions.

Love that pH is now on the ribbon, just need to find out how to make it accurate

So far seems to be working a treat, only real observation is more options for water chemistry would be great. I don't really know why I would use "London" water, but say a Dark and hoppy option or a type of beer selection for the chemistries would be handy.

I can obviously root into it deeper, but for example I spent probably 45 minutes on Friday googling trying to figure out a good water chemistry for a Russian imperial Stout.

if you want to do the research you can find any water formula and save it as the profile starting water, you can save as many as you want and they will show up with all the old school reports in the drop down

My problem was I never did find one and just used Balanced 2 and hoped for the best. I've messed around with searching for water profiles on the site, or by trying to pull them from your recipes without much luck. It's a question of knowing the right question to ask in the first place, which I clearly don't at this time.

here ya go

Blonde Ale
Ca=50 ppm, Mg=10 ppm, Na=16 ppm, Cl=70 ppm, SO4=70 ppm
Balanced
Ca=50, Mg=10, Na=16, Cl=70, SO4=70
Hoppy
Ca=110, Mg=18, Na=16, Cl=50, SO4=275
Hoppy NEIPA
Ca=100, Mg=18, Na=16, Cl=200, SO4=100
Hoppy lite
Ca=110, Mg=18, Na=17, Cl=50, SO4=100
Soft, Pils
Ca=21, Mg=5, Na=18, Cl=16, SO4=21

Thanks I appreciate that, but I strongly suspect I won't be the only newer brewing wondering these things in the future. Hence bringing it up in the New Features thread. Even a way to share target water chemistries would be great. I may not want your specific beer recipe but being able to search out a Pils chemistry could be quite useful for a lot of people cause most of the websites that post recipes (BYO, CBB, etc...) don't list water chemistries with them.

Being able to cludge something together kind of defeats the purpose of using software to help you.

so, I am really enjoying the new update, but I do have a question.

Si I can build a recipe, and in the stat ribbon,it will tell me my predicted PH.
Then I can go through the water calc., link it all to the recipe, and the OG predicted PH stays the same....is that the way it is intended? or I am a bone head and missing something

so, I am really enjoying the new update, but I do have a question.

Si I can build a recipe, and in the stat ribbon,it will tell me my predicted PH.
Then I can go through the water calc., link it all to the recipe, and the OG predicted PH stays the same....is that the way it is intended? or I am a bone head and missing something
Ive only had a quick muck around on existing recipes and i found clicking the update recipe icon in water section did the trick.
20180920_151952.jpg

I will have a look at it again.

Not sure what I did, but it seemsI got it to work

Last edited:
Thet updates are great! One request I have for the next round would be a way to link an entry in to the Yeast Starter calculator to a brew session. I know you can make a brew session entry on it, but if you could link a snapshot of the calculator it would help with remembering all the variables that went into the starter rate and would help with repeatability. Just a thought! Thanks!

Back