NEIPA using Australian ingredients

ppeterson

Premium Member
Reaction score
This is my first attempt at making my own recipe. I wanted to brew a NEIPA, but showcase some unique local ingredients.

In place of a typical German Pilsner malt, I'm using Joe White's Signature Australian Pilsner malt. It's a European-style 2-row. Plus the usual bill of flaked oats, barley, and wheat.

In place of a typical bill of American hops, I've gone for local high-alpha varieties. The feature hop is Vic Secret, with Galaxy as a backup, and a little bit of Ella. Also using Enigma for the second dry-hop after the primary fermentation is finished. It's a big hop bill - 250g for a standard sized batch!

Here's the full recipe: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1048254/victoria-s-secret

Would love to hear any feedback or criticism.

IBU's are kind of high for NEIPA, I would leave the first wort addition, but move the other boil additions to dry additions, your whirlpool additions look good, water profile, and malt bill look good. I would make the first dry addition when I pitch the yeast, and the second while there is still significant yeast activity. I have found that using a Kveik yeast helps with getting the dry additions in there early, and not leaving the beer sitting on them too long. Just my $0.02.

IBU's are kind of high for NEIPA, I would leave the first wort addition, but move the other boil additions to dry additions, your whirlpool additions look good, water profile, and malt bill look good. I would make the first dry addition when I pitch the yeast, and the second while there is still significant yeast activity. I have found that using a Kveik yeast helps with getting the dry additions in there early, and not leaving the beer sitting on them too long. Just my $0.02.
Thanks for the feedback! I'll definitely take that on board.

EDIT: Got it down to 58 IBU with your suggestions. It's surprising how many IBUs the whirlpool additions add even with the very low utilisation rates.

When you say "not leaving the beer sitting on them too long", I assume you're bagging and then removing the bag? How many days would you typically leave them in? I presume when you add the second one you take the first one out?

Last edited:
When you say "not leaving the beer sitting on them too long", I assume you're bagging and then removing the bag? How many days would you typically leave them in? I presume when you add the second one you take the first one out?
I toss hops in the fermenter, using Kveik I am able to rack the beer in 6 or 7 days from pitch, including a 3 day cold crash. If you are leaving the hops in the beer for too long you may get undesirable flavors. If you are going to leave the beer in the fermenter for 2 weeks, and you are dry hopping on day one, and day two, you may want to use a bag so you can remove it after 5-6 days.
These are my thoughts, I welcome any alternative arguments for the people who are more experienced than I.

I'm bagging mine at the moment, as they clog up the keg posts or the transfer to the keg. I could take them out and have in the past tied fishing line on the bag so I can do it easily, but I haven't bothered for ages.

Most of mine are finished in about a a week. I put the first dry hop (about 30% of the total) in at day 2 and the remainder at day 4-5. As they're not spending that long in the beer I don't fiddle around with removing them. I'll have to try removing the first bag one day and see if it changes the flavour.

Back