My First Grain Build

Doesn't look too bad at all albeit I'm not a seasoned IPA brewer. I think the magnum at 5minutes may be out of place in the recipie. I usually use it for bittering and leave the more aromatic hops for the aroma late in boil. Never seen coffee malt or used it is that a crystal malt or roast malt at 150 lovibond. Good luck hope it turns out well for you.

You're at the top of the DIPA range with that OG. Hops look fine, but I'd suggest either picking up the bitterness or cutting down on the Honey malt. The sweetness of the Honey Malt, coupled with some sweetness from the high ABV and a pretty low bitterness for the style can lead to more sweetness than you might expect.

The Coffee malt is a roasted malt, I have never used it but am interested in the potential coffee IPA flavor with a hint of honey.

Bob357 I lowered the Honey malt and made a few adjustments to my hop additions. Any additional recommendations or advice is greatly appreciated.

I think you should be fine now.

No to the Coffee Malt if you actually want an IPA. What you have here would have to be called an "Imperial American Amber" and even at that he roasted flavor might be heavy for style (a style that doesn't exist). If you really want to enhance the citrus flavors, chuck the Coffee and throw in some Cramunich or maybe C-60 for a little color. As you have it, it may very well be a really nice beer, just expect much more "stout" notes from the roasted malt which may get in the way of some of your more subtle hop flavors.

I agree with JA with eliminating the coffee malt if you are looking for an IPA. I just brewed a couple this past weekend and I used some munich in one and crystal 60L in the other. You could also throw in some flaked oats.

J A and Frankenbrewer, what if I drop the Coffee malt to around 0.4 lbs and up my 2-Row or throw in some flaked oats?

I would like to try adding some burnt maltness to the IPA recipe that might exhibit some coffee/chocolate, but not over power the citrus flavors I'm also looking for in this recipe.

Maybe I'm asking too much to achieve some coffee notes in a typical IPA recipe.

Thoughts

MonteBrew, take this taste test...get a cold cup of coffee and squeeze some orange juice in it then carbonate and drink it. let me say that I am not a coffee drinker so anything coffee doesn't resonate with me but you may like the combo. Making beer is a science project anyway. Do your thing. If you don't like it, find someone who will...That's my motto!

The main thing I have learned about homebrewing is it is best to start simple and build as you go. Considering your sentiments, I would either brew a normal IPA or a black IPA. Saying that, it could very well end up the way you want it to but I personally would avoid the coffee malt altogether.

Last edited:
Maybe a more subtle approach like your trying may be the go. I've seen a smidgin of choc malt used in pilsner so why not in an IPA. Just the other night I was eating salted caramel dark chocolate the taste was all over the place. Maybe your flavours may be wild but somehow come together to work for you. What I've done when brewing with fruits and roots is try a restrained version first taste that take notes and use it as a gauge for your next batch either increase your coffee not r choc malt then or take it out if you felt it hindered the flavours. Good luck please make sure you post your results.

I just brewed a Brown IPA which is coming out of fermenter this wknd I think. We brewed it before with a touch of chocolate malt and black malt. The slight roastyness works with heavy centennial hops so we didn't change the recipe except for more aroma hops. I believe the style category excepts subtle dark malt flavors if my memory serves correctly. I do know from experience that heavy dark malt and heavy citrus or grapefruitty is not something that works for me. Coffee? May work but you won't know if ya don't try it. Myself, I would save the coffee malt for a stout.

J A and Frankenbrewer, what if I drop the Coffee malt to around 0.4 lbs and up my 2-Row or throw in some flaked oats?

I would like to try adding some burnt maltness to the IPA recipe that might exhibit some coffee/chocolate, but not over power the citrus flavors I'm also looking for in this recipe.

Maybe I'm asking too much to achieve some coffee notes in a typical IPA recipe.

Thoughts
As I mentioned, you're not in typical IPA territory but for a big American Amber or Brown Ale, it could be fine. typical hopping for those darker styles involves more floral, piney, spicy hops rather than heavy citrus, but if you balance things out, it could be fine. You'll know whether you like or not once you brew it and try it. ;)

Back