Munich Dunkel

Thoughts: First, that's a lot of melanoidin - I'd cut it in half. Second, may have problems with dark Munich and conversion - a bit of Pilsner would take care of that. Otherwise, solid recipe and +1 on only one hop charge!

I would go at least 50/50 pilsner to dark Munich then forget the melanoidin if using the caraf, there's plenty of malt, you want it smooth, not to malty

I'm not totally opposed to dropping or halving the melanoidin and adding in some pilsner malt. However, I'm thinking I would like to stick with all munich if possible. Would an option be to cut the dark and add in some lighter munich? Say 50/50? Or going with a lighter munich altogether?

kcbier just shows some of the ingredients but you can guess the rest, very ballanced

Lookin malty to me good luck keep them yeasties happy and I recon you'll be a happy man.

Perle.....interesting choice for a dunkel, especially as a (assuming) single hop.
I'd stick with Hallertau for stylistic accuracy. Perle, boiled long, takes on a somewhat minty flavor.

Looks tasty! You could use carafa III instead of II to darken it up a bit. Sounds like you're not concerned so whatever works.

Last edited:
I just brewed a Munich Dunkel 1.5 weeks ago.
61% Munich Dark
30% Munich Light
4.8% Carafa II
4.2% Carafoam

I did a step mash. Started at 145, then 155, then 165.
The gravity sample at the end of the boil tasted good.
I'm about to bottle this one later in the week and store it in my keezer for a month.

Back