Mosaic Pale ale

might be good, never had that hop but they say its fruity without the piny bitterness

Smells like cat pee. LHBS did a demo a while back using Mosaic. The general consensus was litter box. One was good, a brew using so little of it the eau du chat was not detectable. Maybe it will be good in conjunction with some other hops but by its self, have kitty litter standing by.

Well I'm definitely not interested in cat pee smell but I read other descriptors. Being the daughter of Simcoe and Nugget, I'm intrigued.
I may hold off on the dry hops until the beer is finished and kegged.
I'll report back with tasting notes.
Brian

Our LHBS had a competition a while back where only certain ingredient were used. One of those being Mosaic hops. After sampling 16 different beer, all using Mosaic only, all IPAs and IIPAs, I don't think I will ever use it in one of my beers. I suppose if someone gave me a good beer with Mosaic used properly I could change my mind, but at the moment my "pallet memory" is burned out.

Chess is remembering the same thing I wrote about. Try Nelson Sauvin instead. Like him I can be convinced but for now, I won't use it.

just like Cluster that hops can be used properly in the beginning stages of the boil to add the lemon sourness everyone keeps referring to cat pee to whatever flavor your ipa needs , if used properly it can actually enhance another hops fruitiness

I can see that, I just haven't figured out where to use it to take advantage. By the way, I've never tasted cat pee so any reference to cat pee is referring to the nose.... :)

depending on the ibu you want the 30 minute mark is a good place to start then add something at 15 and 5 maybe

I get some definite cat pee smells from Citra as well. It's not overwhelming though, and the funk is balanced out well. I had a friend who brewed a Mosaic kit from our LHBS and he said it was really good. Link below is to the store's site, and you can get to the breakdown from there. Ah, heck, I'll save you the trouble:

6.0 lbs. Light dried malt extract

0.50 lb. Crystal 60L malt, crushed
0.25 lb. Victory malt, crushed
0.25 lb. Carapils malt, crushed

60 Minute Boil
1.00 oz. Mosaic hops, added 20 min from the end of the boil
1.00 tsp. Irish moss (optional), added 20 min from the end of the boil
1.00 oz. Mosaic hops, added 5 min from the end of the boil
1.00 oz. Mosaic hops, added 1 min from the end of the boil
1.00 oz. Mosaic hops, added as a dry hop

OK, I've brewed this 3 or 4 times now and I can honestly say it's a home run!
This is my new House Pale Ale and I'll enter it in competition later this year. Feel free to try it out, you won't be disappointed.
Brian

I am using as a dry hop in my latest beer and the samples have been great.

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.069
Final Gravity: 1.018
ABV (standard): 6.68%
IBU (tinseth): 77.31
SRM (morey): 6.58

FERMENTABLES:
7 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Light (63.6%)
2 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Light (18.2%)
1 lb - American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (9.1%)
1 lb - American - Munich - Light 10L (9.1%)

HOPS:
2 oz - Amarillo, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 8.6, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 27.25
2 oz - Cascade, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 40 min, IBU: 19.47
2 oz - Citra, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 40 min, IBU: 30.59
2 oz - mosaic, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 12, Use: Dry Hop for 0 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Sparge, Temp: 155 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 3 gal

YEAST:
Wyeast - American Ale II 1272

^^ That looks like a nice IPA.
The Mosaic will give you quite a big nose on it!
Good Luck
Brian

I have used Mosaic in my last 3 IPA"s and all tasted fantastic. I dry hop with 1oz mosaic, 1oz zythos and a 1/2 oz of Amarillo. !

Nosybear said:
Chess is remembering the same thing I wrote about. Try Nelson Sauvin instead. Like him I can be convinced but for now, I won't use it.
Couldn't agree more. :roll:

I have used Mosaic on my last 3 batches of IPA. The recipe I have been using is called "Ottos Jacket" that I got from one of the brew magazines and its a really nice IPA. I love it! Really fruity and so far everyone thats tried my IPA love it!

Brian

I just put this beer on in my shop and people love it! :mrgreen:

bought some a while ago and has been sitting waiting for me to use it, had this beer which I couldn't get the musty flavor out of it no matter what I did ended up with 6 ounces of dry hopping and 2 - 1 micron filterings "this is over time" then finally tried Mosaic hops in the keg and all I can say is walla "fixed" thanks The Brew Mentor :D

I actually just used mosaic for the first time and I loved the smell, I'm pretty sure New Belgium uses them in Rampant

I got a six pack of the Founders Mosaic Promise. It's a pretty tasty beer. I was thinking of trying my hand at cloning it. It should be super easy as it's a SMASH of Golden Promise and Mosaic Hops. Hardest part would probably be the hop schedule and the yeast. But I figure if I make something up and I like it; good enough for me.

Back