Moose Velvet Brown Ale

Group W

Trial Member
Reaction score
Been wanting to do an “Ode to the Moose” beer since I have family ties to Saskatchewan and Northern Minnesota. I figured it needed to be a “drinker” that could stand up to long winters and use some local ingredients. So I picked Brown ale as the style. 6% and 25 IBUs with a full body mash. I’m interested in your comments.
pale 2-row 54%
C60 10%
Red wheat 10%
Carafa Special I 7%
Cara-Pils/Dextrine 5%
Victory 5%
Maple syrup 10%

Hey GroupW; I haven't made a brown ale; however, your percentages look right to make a very nice ale. 5% victory is a nice addition. The caramels add up to a high cara type of addition. If you have Munich malt, the only idea I would have would be to sub in some munich and drop the overall cara just a bit... but as stated, I don't know the 'brown ale' style and I may be way off on my comment.

Hey GroupW; I haven't made a brown ale; however, your percentages look right to make a very nice ale. 5% victory is a nice addition. The caramels add up to a high cara type of addition. If you have Munich malt, the only idea I would have would be to sub in some munich and drop the overall cara just a bit... but as stated, I don't know the 'brown ale' style and I may be way off on my comment.
I did have 5% Munich in there at one time and replaced it with Dextrine after looking at the Janet’s Brown recipe. Thanks for the suggestion! I may go back or split the difference.

to add also: I just ran your percentages through my spreadsheet, recipe formulation, and as you have it, it fits perfectly into the 'american brown ale' style. Which I'm sure you already knew ;)

That’s good. I use BS3 for recipe builds and Bruin Water. I cracked up when I saw your response on the Munich. This recipe has taken many twists. Thanks again!

Back