MEXICAN LAGER GUANAJUATO any suggestions?

Well Dear Coloradoan friend... there is a name, a citric flavor, a larger style based on austrian settlers' recipes using vienna and pilsen malt, the taste of corn ... a bit of similitude to Coronita

Agree about the hops. The whole recipe is to complicated. For grains, ditch everything but the pilsen malt and corn, unless you're going more Vienna style, then ditch everything but the pilsen and Vienna. Hop schedule is way more than it needs to be. Pick a 60 minute bittering hop and a 20 minute if you want and then a flame out addition. Or eliminate the 20 minute addition altogether.

What makes it Mexican?

I think what Nosy may be asking is what makes your recipe Mexican lager. He's very well-versed in beer styles and understands what a Mexican Lager should be.
As for your recipe, you've got several items that work against you.
Oats? completely out of place.
Wheat? Not a terrible idea but not without a good protein rest. Single infusion won't do and I wouldn't use it a lager at all.
Cascade hops? not going to give you the hop profile you'd expect in a Mexican Lager.
Citric acid? not necessary except for mash PH adjustment and Lactic might do better. If you need citric flavor, add the lime to the glass. ;)
German yeast? Perfectly acceptable (I use it all the time) but an actual Mexican Lager strain may give you the best ester profile.

I'd ditch the oats for sure and probably the wheat, add some Vienna malt to get that maltiness, drop the corn to 20 percent unless you're very used to mashing with that much adjunct, get rid of the Cascade and possibly add some Saaz in the early addition. I'd stick with the 34/70 just because I use it for nearly all my lagers and it does the Vienna-style Mexican lagers just fine.
Good luck.

You're right, that was the point of the question. Mexican Lager is Vienna malt, corn, and acid malt as needed, hopping can vary. I'd use Noble hops, one charge at 60 mins, maybe another at 30 mins. Mexican lager yeast if available, German or Bavarian yeast, maybe Bohemian if not.

Here's a recipe that should give a solid guideline and yield results that match very closely in terms of the Mexican Lager style. I know it's a sucessful recipe because I've brewed slightly different versions of this many times.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/986999/gringo-honeymoon

(I typed this yesterday but forgot to click the Post Reply button) :oops:

Back