Metric for Volume and Weight. Fahrenheit for temp.

MarcSavage

Trial Member
Reaction score
It would be really nice to be able to individually set unit preferences for volume, weight and temp. Being in Canada, we almost always use fahrenheit for cooking temperatures but metric for volume and weight. Is this currently possible?

Last edited:
It would be nice to be able to toggle measurements on an individual basis. Also being from Canada, and being in my middle 50's, the metric system was introduced when I was a teenager. I have learned to think in metric in some areas, but not in others. The weather is C, but cooking is F. I drive in kilometers, but cut wood in feet and inches. I'm a metric/imperial/US measurement freak I guess!

You’re not alone. I usually use metric for weights, us gal for volume and Fahrenheit for temps. Wish I could select mixed bag too.

I'm only in my 30s and still have that issue too in Canuckistan. Metric is way easier to measure volumes in but I find Farenheit gives me a bit more granularity of temperature. Also my kettles only have gallon markings so I have to do a bunch of conversions while brewing to address that.

Having formerly owned an auto repair shop I can feel your anguish. When the US auto manufacturers decided to switch to the metric system in the '70s it cost me several thousand dollars to make adjustments that seemed necessary to be ready for the new models once they were off of warranty and started rolling through my doors. Note that this was basically for hand tools, above and beyond the normal cost of annual tooling and software updates.

What we actually saw as the "conversion" came about was bolts that threaded into brackets, most accessories and such were metric and those that threaded into castings such as engine blocks, cylinder heads, transmission cases and other major components remained SAE. A couple hundred bucks would have sufficed for the conversion.

For brewing I stick to US with the exception of weighing hops. For that I use grams. So much easier to make small adjustments that way.

A light hearted dig at a needlessly complicated system .
Been forced to understand SAE measurement and thread systems but metric has always been my native language

I could see toggling Celsius and Fahrenheit but wouldn't it be a math mess to try to work weights and volumes intermixed? Mash thickness, efficiencies, etc? Even temps would hit on some interactions like volume increase with temp increase. I'm no IT guy but sounds like a great place for bugs to grow.

I could see toggling Celsius and Fahrenheit but wouldn't it be a math mess to try to work weights and volumes intermixed? Mash thickness, efficiencies, etc? Even temps would hit on some interactions like volume increase with temp increase. I'm no IT guy but sounds like a great place for bugs to grow.
Nope. All the conversion factors are easy to apply.

everything is based on the defaults I'm afraid you have to change it there for the calculator to work correctly and too many nested IF statements can be complicated and buggy, it can be done but the whole thing would need a rewrite or a bunch of hacks

So I am in the US, so when I go to the homebrew shop, everything is in pounds and ounces. My RoboBrew has marking for gallons and liters. As you can see, it is much harder to guess the volume between gallon markings than between liter markings. I measure my grain in pounds, but I want to be able to measure my water in liters. When I am building a recipe, there is an option in the fermentables section to choose a variety of measurements, but in the Mash Guidelines, it is either US or Metric, but not both.

I would like to see the dropdown option in Mash Guidelines to use either one, without having to convert the entire recipe.

I also buy my hops in ounces, but measure in grams as my scale is far more accurate measure in grams than ounces. Again, having the dropdown here makes it easy to choose.

@AnokaBrewer @Yooper passed your support ticket over to me, I've opened a ticket to do add this into the pipeline after the mash guidelines update is released.

Back