Metric for Volume and Weight. Fahrenheit for temp.

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by MarcSavage, Dec 10, 2018.

1. MarcSavage

MarcSavage New Member

#1 MarcSavage, Dec 10, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    It would be really nice to be able to individually set unit preferences for volume, weight and temp. Being in Canada, we almost always use fahrenheit for cooking temperatures but metric for volume and weight. Is this currently possible?

uk_brewer likes this.
  2. Craigerrr

Craigerrr Well-Known Member

It would be nice to be able to toggle measurements on an individual basis. Also being from Canada, and being in my middle 50's, the metric system was introduced when I was a teenager. I have learned to think in metric in some areas, but not in others. The weather is C, but cooking is F. I drive in kilometers, but cut wood in feet and inches. I'm a metric/imperial/US measurement freak I guess!

ChicoBrewer likes this.
  3. uk_brewer

uk_brewer Well-Known Member

You’re not alone. I usually use metric for weights, us gal for volume and Fahrenheit for temps. Wish I could select mixed bag too.

4. Hawkbox

Hawkbox Well-Known Member

IT Manager
    I'm only in my 30s and still have that issue too in Canuckistan. Metric is way easier to measure volumes in but I find Farenheit gives me a bit more granularity of temperature. Also my kettles only have gallon markings so I have to do a bunch of conversions while brewing to address that.

5. Mark D Pirate

Mark D Pirate Well-Known Member

Master carpenter , all round good guy
    *shakes head and walks away *
    Mutter mutter mutter.. ..

Mark Farrall likes this.
  6. BOB357

BOB357 Well-Known Member

Having formerly owned an auto repair shop I can feel your anguish. When the US auto manufacturers decided to switch to the metric system in the '70s it cost me several thousand dollars to make adjustments that seemed necessary to be ready for the new models once they were off of warranty and started rolling through my doors. Note that this was basically for hand tools, above and beyond the normal cost of annual tooling and software updates.

What we actually saw as the "conversion" came about was bolts that threaded into brackets, most accessories and such were metric and those that threaded into castings such as engine blocks, cylinder heads, transmission cases and other major components remained SAE. A couple hundred bucks would have sufficed for the conversion.

For brewing I stick to US with the exception of weighing hops. For that I use grams. So much easier to make small adjustments that way.

7. Mark D Pirate

Mark D Pirate Well-Known Member

Master carpenter , all round good guy
    A light hearted dig at a needlessly complicated system .
    Been forced to understand SAE measurement and thread systems but metric has always been my native language

8. Head First

Head First Well-Known Member

I could see toggling Celsius and Fahrenheit but wouldn't it be a math mess to try to work weights and volumes intermixed? Mash thickness, efficiencies, etc? Even temps would hit on some interactions like volume increase with temp increase. I'm no IT guy but sounds like a great place for bugs to grow.

9. Nosybear

Nosybear Well-Known Member

Nope. All the conversion factors are easy to apply.

10. Ozarks Mountain Brew

Staff Member

IT Managment
    everything is based on the defaults I'm afraid you have to change it there for the calculator to work correctly and too many nested IF statements can be complicated and buggy, it can be done but the whole thing would need a rewrite or a bunch of hacks