Melanoidin Malt

wobdee

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
What's your experience with this malt and how do you like it? I'm thinking of playing around with this malt in a few lagers, mainly Marzen, Dunkel and Helles. Weyermann says use up to 20% but I've read it's pretty potent and seems most keep it under 10%.

I found it really to be an odd flavor, you either like it or not, I would only use it in a beer that you cant taste it directly and yes a little goes along way

Reactions: J A
Ditto that^^^... I used it a few times and could never get over the cloying notes in the flavor. Didn't taste malty to me at all, just sort of saccharine and slightly harsh, sort of like you get from a lot of late-addition extract. I don't use it at all any more, even in tiny amounts but I've started using small amounts of Aromatic Malt and I really like it. Too much will leave a lot of sweetness, but it's more like Vienna on steroids. It's a malty sweetness that, to me, is much more pleasant that Melanoidin.

I thought aromatic and Melanoidin was the same thing just different maltsters?

I thought aromatic and Melanoidin was the same thing just different maltsters?
I think it's similar, but my LHBS has both and they're not the same. Just the difference in the methods used to make them, I'm sure, but I definitely find Aromatic to be cleaner in flavor.
Bottom line is that you can do without either one. I've mostly just been upping the light Munich when I want extra malt flavor. CaraVienne is very good for more sweet maltiness, too.

I'm still undecided on this malt I used some in a Marzen a few brews back so had plenty going on the brew tasted pleasant have only used it twice both in Octoberfest beers.

I belong to the "don't like it" crowd. Cloying flavor of ink pen. Same effect as boiling too long. But, used below its flavor threshold, it can add maltiness. I prefer to use Munich instead.

Reading your comments makes me glad I dropped it from the grain bill for my Oat Stout I have planned. Will stick with the Caraaroma though.

I prefer Aromatic over Melanoidin, but still only in small amounts.
I tend to use Vienna and Munich light to bring in some depth of character.

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like a personal taste thingy. I have a pound of Melanoidin on the way and I think I'll give it a try in a Marzen. Thinking of a 70%/Munich, 20/Pils, 10/Melanoidin brew this weekend. Stole this recipe from a very knowledgeable Lager Brewer I've known for a few years and he says it's very good. I'm a small batch Brewer so no great loss if it doesn't turn out.

Reactions: J A
It'll work for a Marzen style. I'd use a fairly attenuative yeast and/or mash fairly low so as to minimize the residual sweetness from the other malts.

Back