Steeping: 4 lbs 2-row Pale, .5 lbs C-60

Hops:
1 oz Hallertau (domestic) @ 30 min
.5 oz Tettnanger 5 minutes
.5 Tettnanger at flameout for 15 min.
1 oz Hallertau (domestic) at flameout for 15 min
1 oz Cascade at flameout for 15 min

THEN: British Ale Yeast WLP 005

Shooting for a colder weather, yet lighter beer. I know it's not going to resemble a pils. Thoughts?

sounds good, Ill have to convert it to all grain and try it

Are you doing a mini mash with that 2 row? Im far from an expert or anything, but that grain and that quantity for steeping doesn't make much sense, unless I'm missing something.

Other than that, i think your hops should make for a good beer

Steeping the grains for an hour. Might go with 5 lbs and 1 of the c-60.

I'm really wondering about the yeast. It's the WLP version of Denny's Fave, so it's maltier, creamier, hence the cascade. I had thought the yeast would overpower the ligher hops, so i'm taking on the cascade to counter that.

Good thinking ahead on the yeast - hops interactions. I've used wlp002, their english ale yeast, and it definitely comes across as maltier than if you were using the california strain wlp001. wlp005 is probably pretty similar

i haven't done extract and steeping in awhile, but 6 lbs seems like a heckuva lot to steep. make sure to squeeze that grain bag like it owes you money when you're done :D out of curiosity, what kind of bag are you using to hold those grains?

UPDATE:

I'm doing a 3 gallon batch. ABV was just too low, and I only have 4 lbs of 2-row, and I really want to do a creative beer that comes in close to 5% ABV.

Based on the Pils extract, 2-row with a pinch of c-60, and WLP005 yeast: 1 oz cascade, 2 oz usa hallertau and 1 oz tettnanger, how would you schedule the hops?

Using any crystal malt at all isn't in line with a pils. This is going to come out more like a pale ale. But it still can be good. You can make your life easier and use pale extract instead of the two-row. Unless you steep it for about 45 minutes at around 152 degrees (a mini-mash), your two-row will only add starches. I'd call this a noble-hopped pale ale

Back