Mash tun / brew pot

Discussion in 'Beginners Brewing Forum' started by yegnal, Jan 12, 2018.

1. yegnal

yegnal Member

I'm only using one silicone washer on each because the bulkhead is too short.. No leaks, but I'm wondering if I should have spent some extra $ for better suited equip. I got mine from Amazon designed for converting brew kettles so I thought I was gonna be ok.

My mash tun washer is on the outside between the cooler and the plain flat washer, not the specially recessed stainless nut because of the short bulkhead. ( I'm also thinking the washer may be smaller than it should because valve kits I've seen elsewhere made specially for mash tun's have two washers one being slightly thicker ). It leaked ever so slightly until I wrapped some Teflon tape around the threads where the washer sits.

Washer on the kettle is on the inside between the pot and the specially recessed stainless nut, no leaks with either setup, just wondering if I'm asking for trouble by not using washers on the inside and outside of each..

2. dfj

dfj Active Member

not unless it leaks more than you can stand. don't worry about it and have a home brew. if it not leaking at temp its fine

3. yegnal

yegnal Member

Thanks, stressing about silly crap is what I do sometimes... Thanks again...

4. jeffpn

jeffpn Well-Known Member

If no one else did that, we couldn’t say RDWHAHB!

Mase likes this.
  5. Mase

Mase Well-Known Member

We all Stress! But it's a hobby stress... far different than other life stresses!

yegnal likes this.
  6. Hawkbox

Hawkbox Well-Known Member

IT Manager
    My cooler leaked a bit too when I went from an Igloo round to a Coleman flat. Took me a couple tries to get the washers seated right. Don't panic as long as you're not losing to much.

Mase likes this.