Mash Thickness for BIAB Equipment

Texas Ale Works

Premium Member
Reaction score
What do I set the mash thickness at for my BIAB equipment profile?

I don't mess with mash thickness. I do BIAB as well. I mash with about 6-7 gallons of water for a 5 gallon batch size. I don't know what my profile mash thickness is set at. It's not a concern to me. If you are asking for the strike temperature calculator, you can do the math every batch. I've just learned to add my grains when the water is 6-8° warmer than my intended mash temperature.

i prefer a full volume mash (or close to it) with BIAB, a lot of people seem to like ~1.25 or 1.5 qt/lbs of grain.

personally, i do 3 gallon boils, mash with 10qt, and then sparge the bag with about 5 quarts.

it really depends on how you or if you sparge, dunk or pour on top or just drain, if you recirculate or not??

So, when I set up my equipment profile under my profile tab, I DO NOT need to add a mash thickness?

I am asking because I have something wrong somewhere, there is no way for 8.5 gallons to the fermenter I could have put in 22 pounds of grain and 13 gallons of water, and that is what I was being told. I am 100% sure this a user error :eek: and not a BF error :D

I recirculate with a RIMS, and heat to mash out temps, but do not sparge or dunk.

Thanks!

T

I go by 1.5 and yes you do need to fill it out or your water wont be right in the quick water form, its also based on your equipment profile and losses you filled out

22 lbs of grain for BIAB is quite a lot. I'd be interested to know how it works out for you.

Ozarks Mountain Brew said:
you do need to fill it out or your water wont be right in the quick water form
I don't use the quick water form. I'm not saying nobody should. I'm saying I don't. As long as I have 6.5 gallons post boil, I got it right by my method.

jeffpn said:
22 lbs of grain for BIAB is quite a lot. I'd be interested to know how it works out for you.

Ozarks Mountain Brew said:
you do need to fill it out or your water wont be right in the quick water form
I don't use the quick water form. I'm not saying nobody should. I'm saying I don't. As long as I have 6.5 gallons post boil, I got it right by my method.

I can indeed mash 22 pounds of grain in my 15gal kettle, but I can only add about 10-11 gallons of water, so it worked, but the beer is much bigger than I wanted for style.

This was the first brew moving from a 2 kettle set up to a single BIAB set up so I knew there would be challenges, but I am happy with the new system and will continue to move forward.

Thanks for all the advice thus far
T

Back