Mash Temp for Lemondrop SMASH

Craigerrr

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking at a recipe by von Osk called Lemondrop SMASH, I want to brew something unique and refreshing for the dog days of summer. The recipe looks pretty straight forward, but it calls for a Mash temperature of 72C, 161.6F, seems way to high to me. The only fermentable is 12.12 lbs of Maris Otter Pale.

Seems way too high for me as well. But it could work - lots of enzymes in modern malt could convert the starches before the enzymes denature. Drop it to 156 F (that's 68.9 F, just go ahead and go with 70) and go with it - that'll yield a fairly viscous wort. Do an iodine test later to be sure of conversion!

That will leave a lot of sugar even if you use a very attenuative yeast. Maybe that's what the brewer wanted. I'd drop the mash temp to 152f if it were my beer though.

Recipe calls for US-05 yeast, if I do brew this recipe, I will mash 154-152, thanks for the inputiguys

Lagunitas mashes their IPA close to 160 F IIRC from an episode of, "Can you brew it?". Also, I believe it was Brulosophy that did an experiment on mash temps and found no conclusive evidence that mash temperature made a difference that was distinguishable by most tasters. I have to agree with Nosybear that a good amount of conversion could occur before enzymes were denatured. Many of the things we took as being gospel in the recent past have been shown to be little more than myth.

Back