Mash temp adjustment not changing abv

WesBrew

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
When i was making the recipe the mash temp I was fiddling with was changing the fg and abv predictions. later I was back editing the recipe, no changes occurred to the recipes abv or fg when I changed the mash temperature setting. I thought I was losing it. another time I did get the abv prediction to change with a mash temperature adjustment.
that doesn't make sense to me

Last edited:
If the mash temperature changes dramatically, or the yeast strain attenuation, it can change the FG and that changes the ABV. I think that is what you are asking.
I don’t understand the edit screen you’re mentioning though.

I'm editing a recipe on the main page with fermentables, hops, mash...etc
when I'm entering a different temperature in the mash guideline box, it is not adjusting the abv or fg near the top where you have all of your current beer stats> OG, FG, ABV, IBU, SRM...etc, even when I hit the 'save" button

Ok, I think I see something now...
if I change the mash temperature in the temp box of the mash guideline section, even if I hit "save" at the top of the page, it wont do anything to abv or fg. the new temperature will be saved in that box though.
IF I put a new temperature in the mash guideline box and hit ENTER, then it is changing those abv and fg figures even without "saving" . that is weird since any other entry box in brewers friend just requires you to type a number and done, it automatically updates the recipe.

Last edited:
@RustyBeer Yes that is a workaround for the time being, but we have a ticket in place to resolve this in the pipeline. Due to several other larger and more significant updates, this has fallen a bit behind. Once it's back up to the plate so to speak, I'll update this thread (and any other relevant forum posts I have saved in the ticket). We hope to resolve that buttons behavior, and tweak the attenuation vs temp relationship but it will also require some re-working of all of the yeast ingredients so that the min attenuation and max attenuation are stored to be in line with the latest science and information from our yeast labs. @Sunfire96

Please let me know if you do notice any further issues or have any further requests/questions etc on this, or any other feature.

@Yooper This is part of #1665

As a follow up to this, when i'm trying to plan out a brew with a drier finish. ( lets say NEIPA, London ale yeast , .066OG and BF projects FG at 1.018 with a mash at 150f) when i drop the mash temp to 148f the FG drops a point but if I go lower or put in a 140-144 Beta rest it actually goes back up rather than down.

Thanks for the followup @WesBrew, we haven't forgotten. I'm adding that comment to the issue list just to not lose track of it.

It's not super well researched what happens below the central reference point for maximum attenuation (whether that's 148, or 150F is up for debate), but the general consensus is that below that reference point the attenuation decreases (aka FG increases, and ABV decreases).

Back