Mash Question

Nola_Brew

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I've read a post a while back where brewers mash one day then boil the next.
I'm not if there is a benefit other than cutting down on brewing time.

Thinking about giving it a try as I will be short on time. I was planning to work a half day today so I could brew but that changed. Tommorow I have plans so I only will have about 3 hrs today and about the same tomorrow.

For those who have tried this please provide any helpful info. Was there any negatives brewing this way as for as end result from the wort sitting overnight?
Thanks!

You’ll lose heat. But that is a pretty minor consequence.

Here’s a link to the Brulosophy site where they compared two identical beers, one with a 60 minute mash vs one left overnight.
http://brulosophy.com/2018/01/08/mash-length-overnight-vs-60-minutes-exbeeriment-results/
http://brulosophy.com/2018/01/08/mash-length-overnight-vs-60-minutes-exbeeriment-results/

They found no perceptible differences.
Thanks for the link.
I was actually thinking about doing the mash tonight, remove my bag then let it rest until early tomorrow morning. I could also do the mash tonight, remove my bag then set my temp for 150-152 and leave it at that temp until the morning.
Not sure if one way is better than the other.

Thinking about giving it a try as I will be short on time. I was planning to work a half day today so I could brew but that changed. Tommorow I have plans so I only will have about 3 hrs today and about the same tomorrow.

For those who have tried this please provide any helpful info. Was there any negatives brewing this way as for as end result from the wort sitting overnight?
Thanks!
Think about it this way: If you do a 170 degree mash-out you've pasteurized your wort. There may be a little bacterial growth in the wort but the initial numbers will be so small the overall effect will be inconsequential. Sanitize your kettle and you should be fine.

They found no perceptible differences.
Maybe it just me, but they never seem to any differences in most of their experiments. Seems odd sometimes, but in this case I could see it wouldn't make much difference.

Maybe it just me, but they never seem to any differences in most of their experiments. Seems odd sometimes, but in this case I could see it wouldn't make much difference.
That does seem to be true. But one of the things I’ve taken away from their experiments is that there are fewer absolute rules for making good beer than has been originally posited. There are still a lot of things in conventional home brew wisdom that are based on scaled down techniques from commercial brewing.

The only possible downside to mashing ahead is souring the wort overnight. As Nosy mentioned, pasteurizing before you let it sit should take care of that. You'd have to be sure that the entire wort volume reached 170 and not just the sparge water so a proper mash out and probably adding a little heat to the finished wort would be necessary.

I remember that chat but couldn't locate it. From what I remember there was a very minor negative associated with overnight mashing. I don't remember exactly what it was, but it wasn't anything that would make me hesitate from doing it.

Thanks for the replies. I ended up brewing Saturday morning. Started at 5 am. The moment I turned on the element it was reading 124 degrees which I knew was wrong. Temps kept fluctuating so figured it was the temp probe.
At this point I just switched over to my propane system which I had not used in over a year. Worked well but prefer electric.
Reached out to High Gravity and Dave responded late morning to remove the pid controller and re set. Did that and added water to do a brief test. It seemed to fix the issue. I'll have to do a test run before next brew day.

I have mashed over night in a cooler more than once without any issue, but mostly because I ran out of time or something.

I was doing my first all grain and got to the mash. It was a beautiful hot early spring day in Fargo and my GF and I went for a bike ride for a couple beers while the mash set. She wound up wiping out on her bike hitting her head on pavement. A ambulance ride and 3 days in the ER before I went back home. Opened the door and the house absolutely stank from sour mash. I called the brew shop I got the grains from and he said, might as well brew it, nothing to lose. Horrible terrible rotten beer, could only drink a few bottles and pitched the rest! Thankfully the smell left before she got released for the hospital a month and a half later! I think I'll do the mash and boil the same day!

I was doing my first all grain and got to the mash. It was a beautiful hot early spring day in Fargo and my GF and I went for a bike ride for a couple beers while the mash set. She wound up wiping out on her bike hitting her head on pavement. A ambulance ride and 3 days in the ER before I went back home. Opened the door and the house absolutely stank from sour mash. I called the brew shop I got the grains from and he said, might as well brew it, nothing to lose. Horrible terrible rotten beer, could only drink a few bottles and pitched the rest! Thankfully the smell left before she got released for the hospital a month and a half later! I think I'll do the mash and boil the same day!
It's exponential growth: A large difference between half a day and three... I, too, do my best to boil as quickly as possible after the mash. But I wouldn't be too concerned leaving a wort overnight if I had to, either. Another bit of security, first-wort hopping would keep some bacteria down.

Hope the missus is doing better. You can make more beer.

Mash in the afternoon & hold overnight in a carboy with airlock. Boil next morning. Never had a problem. I usually wash up after each half. Total time is the same, except reheat time from 75 to 212.
I brew outdoors, with propane. Weather can cause a flip flop of the schedule.

Hope the missus is doing better. You can make more beer.

Yes, she is much better, back to normal but it was 6 years ago, those traumatic brain injuries take a long time to heal! We decided to part ways and I just got married 4 weeks ago! I have a four tap sys and lots of the homebrew got drank that night! I do 15 gal batches now with a spike brewing fermenter, what a diff!! My watyagot stout is carbonating now, keg in a few days! My brewmagic system arrives in a few days!

My brother had a brain injury from a car crash when he was 21, that was 18 years ago. Unfortunately he's gone down the conspiracy rabbit hole and is actively driving away everyone who cared about him that doesn't buy into his nonsense. So I know exactly what you mean.

My brother had a brain injury from a car crash when he was 21, that was 18 years ago. Unfortunately he's gone down the conspiracy rabbit hole and is actively driving away everyone who cared about him that doesn't buy into his nonsense. So I know exactly what you mean.
Man, that's to bad.

It really is, I don't know what happened to him but he's not really my brother any more. He's hateful and manipulative, my main goal now is to support my mom and sister in law while he is busy being a self centered asshole. I feel bad for my mom because she's spent almost 20 years helping him and now it's blowing up in her face because he's an entitled prick and she is just now accepting it.

I've done mash in in the morning went and did stuff in middle of day come home and finnished it off. Nothing different that I noticed even same mash efficiency what ever gets you across the line I say.

Yeah I've done that lots, start the mash in and then go run errands for a few hours. I get maybe 1-2% more extraction when I do that than a regular 1 hour.

Back