Mash pH

Steelyace

Premium Member
Reaction score
My mas pH in the recipe is not the same that it was a week ago, it is also not the same as what the mash chemistry page is showing. Any ideas?

My mas pH in the recipe is not the same that it was a week ago, it is also not the same as what the mash chemistry page is showing. Any ideas?

Can you give me some more information? Did you change or update the recipe? Can I have a link so I can take a look?

Here is a link to the original recipe I copied over and made some changes to it......the only thing I did to this recipe, since last weekend, was make it shareable. Last weekend I started to brew this and the pH was fine. You won't see a link to mash chemistry on this one because it is based on another recipe that I scaled to double.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1034236/marzen-x2

Here is the one I am brewing right now..this one was copied from the above tweaked a little and I noticed the pH was screwed up so I made a new water chemistry.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1037556/marzen-x2-what-i-have-on-hand

Hoping I just overlooked something but I looked it over a lot and trying to figure out why the pH changed when I never edited it.

Thank you

I went through it and I couldn't find any issue except that "dark munich" didn't have a category in the water calc. I added it and it still didn't fix it, so I put in a support ticket (number 1791 for my own reference), and will keep you posted on what's happening.

Setting both the light munich and munich dark as a base malt provides a mash pH of 5.36 on the water calculator which seems right to me.

Looks like some changes to the grain categorization from beta made it to the live site when it shouldn't have.

I spent a good bit of time going over the entire fermentable database, correcting types and categories for better accuracy and organization, and we'll be introducing a couple new ones shortly (specialty malt, smoked malt, honey, fruit juice, and fruit puree).

Unfortunately those changes were supposed to stay separate on beta until the update was ready, so now we're using the live sites pH calculations with the beta fermentable categories, doesn't know what to do with a specialty malt, (which ATM just includes munich, aromatic malts, biscuit, melanoidin and dextrine malts like carapils).

That would make sense if that information somehow got pushed out with the last update, because even a recipe I didn't change shows a different mash pH than it did a week ago. Thank you for clarifying that and looking into it.

This update has been released, please let us know if you still see any issues.

Back