Mash Hopping

MrBIP

Premium Member
Reaction score
So, I've not done any all grain brewing yet, but like starting with extract, I'm researching, reading, watching video months in advance (cuz I'm anal obsessive about getting the process right).... anyway...

Mash Hopping? Has anyone actually done this? There seems to be some different schools of thought on whether or not hops in the mash actually contribute the finished product and what is contributed.

(No, of course I'm not going to go off an put hops in my mash the first time I all grain, but it was some interesting reading this evening)

Just finished a couple of batches with first-wort hopping. I haven't tried mash hopping but I can attest to the power of FWH. I just finished an IPA with eight total ounces of hops, some quite strong. I used some organic Crystal in the first wort and guess what? The flavor comes through (I actually hope it mellows a bit - the flavor is a bit too strong). I did FWH for a batch of Classic American Lager that's still in the fridge - we'll see how it works. Recommendation: Use a Noble hop or something with a good flavor as FWH. It does produce a noticeable, strong effect. If you want to mash-hop, go ahead, make sure your style supports it, use extremely high quality hops and by all means, let us know how it turns out!

Mash hopping ,IMHO, is simply a waste of hops. What can it give you that you don't already have in a traditional hop schedule?
With that being said, I am also from the school of thought that if you think it makes your beer better, than it does. I you try it and like the results, then right on. Keep up the good brewing.

@Chessking: Give First Wort Hopping a try. I'll be bringing at least one first-wort hopped beer to Homebrew Night on March 21st (my IPA). I really notice the Crystal I used for FWH, perhaps a bit too much.... I did the same with the Classic American Lager but it won't be ready by then. For the record, my name is Steve Stanley - I'm only Nosybear on the Internet.

Personally, I've not had any experience with FWH or mash hopping (I do partial extract recipes), but I found a nice piece on a homebrewing blog (link below) that lays things out nicely. As was mentioned before, the only way to really know is to try it. Having the advice of others is great in terms of process and their personal results, but differences in equipment, ingredients, and your own personal taste mean that what one person got great results from might not be the same for you. I used to despise IPA's and other hop-forward beers, but I've pretty much done a 180; but what I like now would have disgusted me 2 years ago. Try out new techniques and see what works. I want to do some FWH in future recipes, so let us know how it works for you.

http://beersmith.com/blog/2008/03/17/th ... echniques/

Nosybear said:
@Chessking: Give First Wort Hopping a try. I'll be bringing at least one first-wort hopped beer to Homebrew Night on March 21st (my IPA). I really notice the Crystal I used for FWH, perhaps a bit too much.... I did the same with the Classic American Lager but it won't be ready by then. For the record, my name is Steve Stanley - I'm only Nosybear on the Internet.

First wort hopping I guess makes some sense as you are introducing hops to the converted wort pre boil, and that contact continues through the boil process. This early hop placement contributes to bittering, but any flavor or aroma, I believe, would be long gone, or severely reduced at least, at the end of boil.
In the mash, all I am trying to do is convert the starch to sugars (both fermentable and unfermentable). Also extract flavors from the various grains. I don't see how introducing hop oils at this stage can do anything for you, and it might possibly hinder conversion by adversely effecting the enzymatic activity, or changing the Ph. Overly bitter hop bombs not being a big favorite of mine, I found I can get all the bittering/flavor/aroma I need to make a tasty beer from the boil.
That being said, I am always willing to taste some beers. Convince me.

chessking said:
In the mash, all I am trying to do is convert the starch to sugars (both fermentable and unfermentable). Also extract flavors from the various grains. I don't see how introducing hop oils at this stage can do anything for you, and it might possibly hinder conversion by adversely effecting the enzymatic activity, or changing the Ph.
^^^^That^^^^

I'm a big fan of FWH 'ing on IPA's, instead of the standard 60 min bitter addition. (or in addition to :p )

imo -

First Wort Hopping +1
Mash Hopping -1

Don't bother - everything that I have read states that it doesn't do anything besides waste hops.

First Wort Hopping is awesome though - HIGHLY recommend!!
perogi.

Chessking - I had similar thoughts - wait until you taste the Crystal hops in my IPA! Despite all the high-alpha and high-beta additions in the boil and in the dry-hop, it's the Crystal you taste. I didn't believe FWH was as powerful as advertised until I tasted these results. I'm a convert. It's not appropriate to every style - the IPA would have been better without it but it works!

Back